• Slow-motion Switch Machines?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Komachi

I'm almost finished "roughing in" the trackwork for my project layout (to be put up for auction to raise funds for a local Cancer charity (* see below for a link to the thread regarding the RF&L) and will soon be fine-tuning it for soldering, wiring and final instalation.

While I'm at it, I need to figure out what switch machines I'm going to use and plan for their instalation as well. I was originally hoping to use Tortise Slow-motion machines, as they have a smooth operation and are (to my knowledge) quite reliable and long lived. The only problem, for me, anyway, is cost. The Tortise machines are a little pricy for my budget at the moment.

Is there another slow-motion switch machine on the market that is just as good as the Tortise, but a little more... "economical?" Just currious.

(The thread on the RF&L is here: http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=72677 )
  by jcuknz

If it is going for aution surely the likihood is that it will be going to somebody who couldn't care less about slow moving points and the cheapest would be wire in curtain cord with loop for finger to fit in. The wire operating both switch and electrical connection for point region.
  by ApproachMedium

Maybe try some of the Blue Point turnout boxes. If it was going for auction id just go with some kind of ground throw, if they had to be powered then just use some twin coil machines like the atlas snap switches have. Its cheap they work and last quite a while.
  by glennk419

I came across these a couple of months ago http://www.micromark.com/Switch-Tender- ... ,8394.html.

With the quantity discount, they come in a little less than the Tortoise and but lack the switch contacts which may or may not be a disadvantage.
  by trainguy2024

I am using the peco switch machines. They are not slow moving however they are priced right. When they are on sale, I can get them for about 11.00 from Walthers.
  by Komachi

Well, I appreciate all the suggestions, guys, however, thanks to a charitable donation by one of our local community service groups, I was able to get a twelve-pack of Tortise machines.

So, I'll be going with the ol' standby.

Now, the trick will be in getting them wired up correctly, without blowing up the railroad (as I've commented on a few threads, this is my first venture into the "wonderful world" of DCC, so...).
  by ApproachMedium

If you need any help wiring these up, let me know. They are very simple, esp if you are using a DCC switch decoder. Two wires from the track to the decoder, two wires to the machine! easy! If you are using a powered frog then that adds a little more to it but also can be done easily.