• Slippage Detection System for railway car wheels

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by LAL2009

Is there market for advance, reliable and unexpensive Slippage Detection System for railway car wheels?
System collects the wheel slippage data simultaneously from four axies
  by Gadfly

It already exists! Computer-driven slip detection has been in existence for many years. They use various methods, the simplest being measuring the variance in axle speeds to detect slip, reduce throttle, and apply sand. This is what what you hear when you hear a diesel engine modulating up and down on starting, alternately revving and slowing as wheel slip is detected.

Gadfly
  by NV290

Gadfly wrote:It already exists! Computer-driven slip detection has been in existence for many years. They use various methods, the simplest being measuring the variance in axle speeds to detect slip, reduce throttle, and apply sand. This is what what you hear when you hear a diesel engine modulating up and down on starting, alternately revving and slowing as wheel slip is detected.

Gadfly
If you read the thread starters post, it says railway CAR wheels. Not Locomotive wheels.

Such a system does exist. But it's used on passenger cars, not freight cars. Amtak most notably uses the Decelostat system but they have a new system out now that is replacing it. Before i get into that, what is the purpose for this info?
  by LAL2009

Dear NV299,
You are right; I meant slip detection for railroad car wheels, not the locomotive wheels.
We are small OEM Company located in NJ. Three years ago we developed a system to detect slippage and other parameters for paper-converting industry. We can detect slippage for each revolution of the wheel with very high precision without any mechanical coupling with an axle. Also, System storages (8) Mb of data in the memory, this data could be retrieved with a laptop or through Internet. All system components are off-shelf with certified reliability.
More then (60) systems are already installed around the country.
We are looking for a partner (company or individual) who could guide us through the railroad industry requirements and help with testing and implementation.
Any advice will be much appreciated
  by DutchRailnut

The most common system on railcars is where 4 comparator chips count gear teeth passing by a speed sensor. The 4 outputs are checked against each other and activating the wheelslide vent valves. On each axle a teethed crown is mounted for the wheel sensor to read, the same system can also actived power reduction features to prevent wheel spin.

http://www.wabtec.com/main/product.asp? ... rc_2=light
Last edited by DutchRailnut on Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Gadfly

I DID read the post. However, I don't xee the point of "detecting" wheelslip on non=powered wheels. Now, wheels that are sliding are an entirely different matter. That would be caused by locked or fouled journal box(es), galled or stuck bearings, or sticking brakes. We used something called "flange lubricators" to ease certain conditions that might cause sliding wheels. Otherwise, I can see no reason to worry about "slipping"(?) wheels that do nothing but follow obediently along. In the railroad-ese I was accustomed to, "wheelslip" always meant "spinning" wheels that have lost traction and are unable to gain motion under power. That is why I responded the way I did. When talking to a railroader, you have to be sure that the terms you use actually are IN commonly used RR vernacular, or the railroader is not going to understand. Like the foamer term "on the point", which is a BS term WE never used! OR "track speeder", yet another silly term NEVER heard.........well, not on NS! To US such non-railroad terms were SILLY, but the foamin' joe's threw them around like candy at a parade! :-)

Gadfly
  by Gadfly

Wait a sec! Is he talking about newer BRAKING systems that prevent sliding wheels like automotive anti-LOCK systems?

Gadfly
  by CN Sparky

Is there some part of the new ECP brakes that takes into consideration the sliding/locking of wheels?

CN has no ECP cars... so I have no idea.
  by Gadfly

Well, someone needs to explain this one to me! I see no need to be concerned for slippage of non-powered wheels1 In the common usage on my RR, slip equates to loss of traction that prevents the car from moving under its own power. Non-powered wheels merely follow obediently along when persuaded to do so by a powered source!

Gadfly
  by LAL2009

Gadfly wrote:Well, someone needs to explain this one to me! I see no need to be concerned for slippage of non-powered wheels1 In the common usage on my RR, slip equates to loss of traction that prevents the car from moving under its own power. Non-powered wheels merely follow obediently along when persuaded to do so by a powered source!

Gadfly
I am sorry for misuse of the RR terminology, I meant "Slide/Lock Detection for railway car wheels"
  by John_Perkowski

Gadfly,

I'll take it you've never ridden an ex-SP dining car in Amtrak service that had a 2" flatspot.

Clunka-clunka-clunka, from Santa Barbara to LAUPT. That trip was my sophomore year of college, and I still remember it.
  by MEC407

I've ridden a few MBTA cars like that. At least it wasn't long distance!
  by Gadfly

I've seen PLENTY of flat wheels. Just not exclusively on the West coast. Flat wheels are not exclusive to a particular RR, either. :-) 'Employees are every opportunity to watch trains by at their station to inspect for hanging or dragging equipment, hot journals, broken or sliding wheels." That didn't, however, include merely FLAT wheels. These could, if desired, be reported to the train by radio. Unless it was particurlarly noticible, nothing was done so as not to delay the freight. As a yard clerk, I saw trains come into the yard with sliding wheels, fire rotating around the circumferance of the wheel like a circus fireworks display.
Anti-lock braking systems DO already exist, tho fairly new technology.

Gadfly
  by NV290

Gadfly wrote: Anti-lock braking systems DO already exist, tho fairly new technology.

Gadfly
Not on major railroads they don't. Even the most modern passenger train such as Amtrak's Acela do not have any type of Anti Lock brake system. And no locomotive or freight car in every day service has such a system either. It would be far too complex and expensive to implement. Especially in a pneumatic application. Look how long it's taken just to get EPIC brakes into everyday use? And even still, they are only on a handful of trains.