Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Otto Vondrak

From ShoreLineEast.com:

The Connecticut Department of Transportation (ConnDOT) will launch new weekend holiday rail service on Shore Line East (SLE) as part of the Department's effort to expand rail service in the state. The special holiday rail service will run on Saturdays and Sundays beginning on Saturday, November 17, 2007 through Sunday, December 30, 2007.

http://www.shorelineeast.com/holidayschedule_text.html

by Clean Cab

This was tried back when SLE first started and it bombed big time. Let's hope that riders take advantage of the new expanded schedules.

by Noel Weaver

capecodlocoguy wrote:This was tried back when SLE first started and it bombed big time. Let's hope that riders take advantage of the new expanded schedules.
Might be true but gasoline was not $3.00 or more a gallon in those days
either.
Noel Weaver

by Fred G

I'll ride it since I've been hoping for this for years. Might even bring the camera :P

by Murjax

Fred G wrote:I'll ride it since I've been hoping for this for years. Might even bring the camera :P
I've been hoping for this for a while as well, however I was hoping for something permanent instead of just a holiday special. Hopefully if this goes well SLE will consider making it permanent. :-)

by kitn1mcc

i know i am gonna get the word out on some of that party/club boards i frequent no more trips to milford

by theozno

I don't know if this is possible but...
I can see weekend service being very successful if they were it use the "Bombers" that just sit in danbury at idle all weekend and do through service instead of transferring in New Haven.
the other suggestion I would do is advertise the Hell out of it as a PSA (public service announcement) on all CT radio/TV stations serving New London to New Haven. I.E. 99.1 WPLR, KC 101.3 ETC...
-OZ

by Otto Vondrak

Advertising costs money.

SLE can use SLE equipment for SLE service. No need to dip into the MN pool.

Run all the trains you want- you still have to pay crews, coach cleaners, yard crews, etc.

-otto-

by shadyjay

theozno:
While thru service would be nice (I'm assuming you mean to GCT), it can't be done using MNR equipment sitting in Danbury since none of MNR's P32 dual modes have ASCES required east of New Haven. So that's out.... until the M-8s are delivered.

Getting weekend service for SLE started is a big plus. Let's start there and work our way down the rail.

by theozno

Otto,
A PSA is a Public Service announcement. the FCC requires all radio stations in america to play them. all radio stations have "to serve in the local interest" correct me if I am wrong PSA's are free of charge I believe. since this one would be promoting public transportation.
I would suggest having one of or some of you guys who works at MTA in the inside contacting the AD council @
www.adcouncil.org
or
[email protected]

p.s.
whats ASCES? I tried doing some quick research on that term and could not figure out what it was
hope my info helps
-OZ
Otto Vondrak wrote:Advertising costs money.

SLE can use SLE equipment for SLE service. No need to dip into the MN pool.

Run all the trains you want- you still have to pay crews, coach cleaners, yard crews, etc.

-otto-
Last edited by theozno on Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Fred G

kitn1mcc wrote:i know i am gonna get the word out on some of that party/club boards i frequent no more trips to milford
Dunno what you mean there, brother, but cool. Maybe I'll see you on a train sometime.

by DutchRailnut

Ok lets put those letters in right sequence, ACSES or Advanced Civil Speed Enforcement System, a overlay(expansion) of Cab signal/ATC.
Metro North Equipment does NOT have the required system and can therefor not run east of New Haven.
Once the M-8's arrive they could to Old Saybrook.

by Otto Vondrak

theozno - I know what a PSA is. Metro-North pays to have advertising on radio, television and in printed magazine and newspaper ads... are you saying that CDOT/SLE gets all their advertising for free?? Anyway, the topic at hand is the announced expanded service, not trying to figure out how to run SLE trains into New York City.

by theozno

no problem otto. thanks for keeping me in line. I was suggesting the PSA's because I work in the radio buisness up here while in college in VT. They have a PSA I play on the radio that stations don't bill for about how new bus service was added on weekends recently. I am sure there might be one or two stations in the New Haven/new london area that might be interested as playing it as a daily PSA since all radio/tv stations are required to play a certain amount each day in their commercial breaks. Anyways thats enough from me and like I said it is just a suggestion...

Otto Vondrak wrote:theozno - I know what a PSA is. Metro-North pays to have advertising on radio, television and in printed magazine and newspaper ads... are you saying that CDOT/SLE gets all their advertising for free?? Anyway, the topic at hand is the announced expanded service, not trying to figure out how to run SLE trains into New York City.

by Jeff Smith

I would suggest through service no into NY, but at least past New Haven, similar to the weekday trains that run with MNRR crews west of NH to Stamford. I haven't been to NH in some time, but I think the shopping is probably better in Milford, Stamford, or Greenwich. I think the bigger problem, though, is getting folks out of their cars - who wants to lug their shopping "booty" on shuttles, busses, and trains? Going to Stamford is not like going to the city where parking costs big $$$ and the holiday crowds are even more crushing than in the burbs.