Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#685241  by kitn1mcc

Seems like they looped several of the sets. Took pics in os this am.nice to see a new view going in

Pics when I get home
 #685760  by Jeff Smith

Nice looking cars, I like the black and orange, but perhaps that's because they're Mam'k school colors. I know SLE generally runs push-pull the opposite of MNRR, and I believe DRN posted the reason on here somewhere.
 #686023  by FL9AC

as of this morning the two shoreline trainsets that turn in Stamford had been turned (engine on the east end).
 #686029  by RearOfSignal

Sarge wrote:I know SLE generally runs push-pull the opposite of MNRR, and I believe DRN posted the reason on here somewhere.
I'm pretty sure that has to due with spotting for fuel in New Haven yard and since the MNR and SLE trainsets are usually heading opposite directions out of New Haven.
 #686153  by shadyjay

Pretty sure an article in Railfan & Railroad back in the early 90s said it was done to prevent wheel wear. But seeing as how I don't remember this topic brought up in recent years, I may be mistaken.
 #686778  by edbac333

Shoreline East equipment turn on mid afternoon Waterbury shuttle facing opposite direction as well(north instead of south)
 #687157  by Swedish Meatball

MNRR are performing wire work on the new M8 yard (TK 38) and also the inner loop in New Haven yard forcing SLE trains to fuel and leave New Haven engines facing East.