Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Nasadowsk

<i> (I think mafersa was budd's brazillian licensee)</i>

Yes. In fact, they built a number of EMUs that looked very much like Silverliner II units.

It's hard to imagine it today, but years ago, there were US manufacturers of rail equipment that enjoyed export success, and Budd was one of the biggest.

by DutchRailnut

SLE can not use the FL-9's on SLE trains because the FL-9's and MNCR/CDOT genesis do NOT have ACSES cab signalling equipment wich is neccesary east of New Haven.

by ApproachMedium

Hey hate to bring up this old thread, but i would be interested to know who originally built these cars for VRE? Also does anyone know if all the doors are powered/trainlined? It looks to me as they have some kind of door latch/handle on them to open and close the doors.

by DutchRailnut

The cars were built in Brasil at Mafersa under licencing from Budd. the cars are an actual Budd design, but were built long after Budd went belly up as rail manufacturer.
The doors are manual with no provisions to make them electrc or air operated.
  by MTASUPT

The 1717 and the 1719 were brought from Kawasaki to New Haven on Saturday night (12/22/07).
  by rrbob

MTASUPT wrote:The 1717 and the 1719 were brought from Kawasaki to New Haven on Saturday night (12/22/07).
Odd number cars are bathroom cars??

Bob K

by Otto Vondrak

Any of the Mafersa cab cars coming on line anytime soon?

by DutchRailnut

There are a few of them in service, they have just not been on the Stamford trains I believe.

by njtmnrrbuff

I may be riding SLE to Guilford sometime in the next week, and hope to have a Mafersa cab car, rather than a shoreliner, not that I dislike the Shoreliners. I would like to have something different for a change.

by Fred G

Otto Vondrak wrote:Any of the Mafersa cab cars coming on line anytime soon?
They've been online for a month IINM.

Coincidentally, I rode it today[/img]

by njtmnrrbuff

I had a Mafersa cab pulling my train to Guilford. they look very good.

by DutchRailnut

Cabs don't pull trains , their pushed by that noisy thing called locomotive at rear of train.

Nice shot Fred.

by kitn1mcc

the new cab cars are a nice ride. dual heaters/dual windows/dual wipers

Except the radio sounds like garbage no hand held mike

by Fred G

DutchRailnut wrote:Cabs don't pull trains , their pushed by that noisy thing called locomotive at rear of train.

Nice shot Fred.
LOL, that noisy oil burning thing! Thanks Dutch.

by Otto Vondrak

I haven't seen the cab cars on the Stamford trains, so that's what prompted my question.