• Single Tracking on RVL 8/22

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by genesis11980

Does anyone know why NJT has all eastbounds operating on the westbound track between CP Queen in Plainfield and CP Clark in Westfield? I was at Fanwood and could see no signs of track work. The only thing different was the temporary placement of a yellow triangular sign with an "A" in the middle of it at the west end of the westbound platform. Is this some sort of sign indicating a restriction?

by Sirsonic

The "A" board you saw is called an approach sign. It indicates to an approaching train that the engineer must proceed prepared to stop at the stop sign, which should be braking distance from the approach sign.

Stop signs are used to protect men and equipment working on or near the track. Trains can not pass a stop sign without the permission of the employee in charge of the working limits. The working limits is the area between opposing stop signs.

For anyone interested, stop signs are used with line 5 on a Form D.

Considering you saw an a board, I wold suspect there was something going on further down the line.

by Olton Hall

There is a bridge replacement project going on in Plainfield. They could have needed a track outage to lift the new girders into place.

by Ken W2KB

The single tracking has been taking place every workday for some weeks now, I believe, between the rush hour periods to lessen the disruption to the workers on the above-mentioned bridge project.