• Simple DCC Wiring?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Cadet57

I'll be getting back to wiring my updated layout soon and I want to have it ready to go for DCC when I finally get around to that project. Does anyone have any simple to set up, and very easy to understand wiring diagrams for DCC? I see those terminal strips used a lot but not sure how to go about wiring them. I have a couple DCC books but none really get into detail on wiring.
  by BobLI

Google is your friend. Type in DCC wiring and look at the results. Lots of examples there
  by Cadet57

BobLI wrote:Google is your friend. Type in DCC wiring and look at the results. Lots of examples there
Done that quite a few times. But I havent found what I'm looking for.
  by ApproachMedium

DCC is easy, if the layout is small just wire all the feeders to a bus, connect bus to a circuit breaker, connect breaker to layout
And use a DCC circuit breaker like they sell from NCE or Tonys Trains. If the layout is a little bigger, break up into power districts with multiple circuit breakers. Have a Loop track? Like a dogbone layout etc? Just go and add an auto reverser on a section of the track on the loop and that will keep from short circuiting. DCC is the simplest thing you can wire up!
  by Cadet57

ApproachMedium wrote:DCC is easy, if the layout is small just wire all the feeders to a bus, connect bus to a circuit breaker, connect breaker to layout
And use a DCC circuit breaker like they sell from NCE or Tonys Trains. If the layout is a little bigger, break up into power districts with multiple circuit breakers. Have a Loop track? Like a dogbone layout etc? Just go and add an auto reverser on a section of the track on the loop and that will keep from short circuiting. DCC is the simplest thing you can wire up!
Ok. So do I wire the feeders to say a terminal strip and have the bus connect to each end of the terminal and just go around the layout like that? I only have a 10'x4' L layout. I am terrible at wiring which is why I'm looking for something really easy to set up. Also, is this compatible with my Tech2 packs until I get my DCC set up?
  by ApproachMedium

yes you can use it with your tech 2 packs till the DCC is added. Easiest thing to do is soilder feeder wires to the track and have them drop down below the layout. Each feeder can then just be attached to a main bus line that goes from one end of hte layout to the other, or around it however you choose. I attach the feeder wires to the bus by soidering or by using the 3M "suitcase" connectors. Terminal strips for the feeds are only really nessiscary in large layouts where the bus feeds run vertically long lengths, it makes it easier to disconnect in the case of track issues and also allows you to run a heavier wire to the strip, and keep the lighter wire a short length to the track itself.

The bus can run back right to your power pack, or what I would do is right to a toggle switch. Put the track in the center, and one side your Tech 2 and the other the future DCC system. Make sure you get something like a 3 position switch (ON/CENTER OFF/ON) where during switching there is no case that the DCC side or DC side will come in contact with each other. Ive seen this happen, its not good. I recommend 14 gauge wire or 12 gauge wire for the track bus, and 16 or 18 for the feeder lines.