• Silverliner V

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Nasadowsk

<i>Uh, are you considering the new Tier II emissions regs?</i>

Yes. Prior to them, it was no contest at all - highway diesels were FAR cleaner. And highway diesels are about to get tightened up again by quite a bit. EGR, partical traps, catalysts, etc are all common on new highway diesels, and unheard of on rail diesels. It remains to be seen what happens when GE and GM are finally forced to adopt these features.

<i> And from what I've seen in the industry literature, locomotive energy efficiency is increased too.</i>

A few percent. Even GE and EMD's antique prime mover designs are actually quite efficient - about 40%, better than turbines. The world record is over 50%, but this was for a 3 or 4 story tall, 100 rpm unit - it spins so slow that there's lots of time to get energy out. The trouble is, overall, because the tyrains are so heavy, they're still not very efficient. IIRC, a two car IC3 gets better than 3mpg, which is far better than a P-40 pulling 2 Amfleets, or better than the CRC unit, which uses highway diesels anyway (which is why getting it past the EPA wasn't an issue - the engines already met a far stricter standard). Even a six car train would get 1mpg, which beats a conventional train by a lot, and with better performance to boot. because it's not lugging around a few hundred lbs of useless weight in the form of a locomotive.

by Wdobner

What about other options SEPTA might exercise for the Silverliner 5s? Would they consider 25kv operation? Might we finally get bathrooms on the regional rail? I'm fairly certain automated announcements and internal passenger information displays are likely in the works, as every car since the Comet IV seems to have them. Externally, eliminating the plastic cards would likely be welcomed by crews and passenges alike provided they work consistantly. Maybe a LCD or LED destination sign would be in order, perhaps a combination, with a small color LCD (similar to a laptop's display) showing the R# with it's associated color and an LED matrix next to it displaying the destination of the train in multi-color LEDs for ease of readablility.

by Irish Chieftain

Would they consider 25kv operation?
Only if Amtrak converts the NEC. Otherwise all of the Silverliner fleet will need automatic variable-tap transformer equipment (has this been retained on the AEM-7s and ALP-44s?)
  by Clearfield

Silverliner V Electric Multiple Unit Commuter Rail Cars
(RFP No. 105APA-1)

SEPTA is seeking proposals for the purchase of 104 Silverliner V Electric Multiple Unit Commuter Rail Cars and associated equipment.

Pre-Proposal Meeting: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 at 9:30 a.m.
Conf. Room 11C, 11th Fl., 1234 Market St., Phila., PA 19107

Proposal Due Date: Friday, October 28, 2005 at 4:30 p.m.

by Nasadowsk

Anyone know if SEPTA's gotten into the 1990's and posted the specs in .pdf format anywhere?

by Matthew Mitchell

Nasadowsk wrote:Anyone know if SEPTA's gotten into the 1990's and posted the specs in .pdf format anywhere?
I don't think so. The previous RFP was a very long document. They distributed it on CD-ROM.

by Nasadowsk

ouch :(

by Silverliner II

Wdobner wrote:It's obvious that we'll never get a high platforming program done, minihighs are out because you can't board most of the passengers across a 1 foot gap left to make the route freight compatible.
That's why SEPTA has bridge plates secured on the high platforms...even at the Center City stations.

by PARailWiz

That's why SEPTA has bridge plates secured on the high platforms...even at the Center City stations.
They should have bridge plates that fold into the floor on the Silverliner V's. That would save the trouble of unlocking them at the station and allow useful mini-highs to be built in far more stations. Is there such a thing already?

by octr202

PARailWiz wrote:
They should have bridge plates that fold into the floor on the Silverliner V's. That would save the trouble of unlocking them at the station and allow useful mini-highs to be built in far more stations. Is there such a thing already?
I'm sure you could concieveably do something like that with a car that was set up for high platform only (or at the middle doors on cars set up like NJT's)...look at the lifts (ramps really) on low floor buses. But...with traps, this would seem pretty difficult.

Interesting idea...would make wheelchair loading a lot faster. Ever seen how quickly a wheelchair can get on or off a low floor bus now?

by PARailWiz

I pictured just a relatively thin sheet of steel that you sort of spring-load into the trap. Release the catch and it pops out, then you can pull it out the rest of the way. Then just push it back in until it snaps back into place. Not unlike a floppy disk. I must concede though that i haven't given it much critical thought as far as actually having it work.

by Lucius Kwok

TriMet's Portland MAX light rail vehicles have automatic bridge plates on their newer vehicles. They don't deploy unless you press a special button, but they are fully automatic in operation. They allow a wheelchair to board without having driver assistance.

by One of One-Sixty

An idea for a manual bridge is to have it as part of the vestutable wall, and from there it can fold out, kinda like how they have the new Monolopy game boards.

And for an automatic bridge, is have the floor fold up and then out onto the station. It could be made up of 3-4 sections that 1'L x 4'W x 1" D. If need be it could be operated manually as well.

by AmtrakFan

Question are these the new Heavy Rail or the Light Rail Cars?

by octr202

Commuter rail Electric MU's. Next generation of the current commuter rail fleet.