• Silverliner IV promotion

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by jetfan

For those who may be interested in models of the Silverliner IV in kit form, we are offering a pre-order promotion. Please visit:

http://islandmodelworks.com/philly.html

for more information.

We will also be releasing these models in N scale in the future.
Thanks,
Joe
Island Modelworks LLC
  by Sir Ray

I would be interested, but I am a bit confused - is the promotional price P (I don't want to get banned, so I won't say it) the same for a single unit as a 'married' pair, or is the married pair double the promotional price (2 cars/2xP)?
Also, assuming you do get enough orders by mid-April, how on earth can you produce them by May? Are the molds already cut and ready to go or something?
OK, I'll be the dufus to get in trouble and ask - did you purchase the existing IHP Silverliner IV molds?
  by jetfan

Hello Sir Ray,
The promotional price is for one married pair (A+ B car) We have already completed the design work for the models and want to make sure that there is sufficient interest in bringing this model to market as we have plenty of other projects in our Que. These are original designs and not purchased or copied from any other firm. Unlike injection molded kits that can take a year or more to bring to market, we could produce a model in a week or so if pressed. We have done several months of research on the cars to insure accuracy, producing the final product is the last step of a multi part process. Thank you for the inquiry.
Joe
Island Modelworks LLC
  by Mike@IHP

Hi Sir Ray,

The IHP Silverliner IV models are all original and represent over 20 years of research and at least a year of actual pattern development. The prototypes are some of my own personal favorites and all of this is why the IHP Silverliner IV models feature realism, details and prototype fidelity that no other manufacturer will be able to match.

As you probably know, Silverliner IV models are available now from IHP and in RTR powered and dummy format for much cheaper than we feel could be offered in kit form, especially once you do all the purchasing of extra components and put in the building work. They make use of an all-new, original drive that will eventually be used in all of our MU cars where appropriate. Though they do have some simplified features (to meet the Store's requested price requirements) they can be easily upgraded and a premier version is also in the planning stage, with working pantographs among other advanced features. Only single units are currently available, but married pairs (one powered, one dummy) will begin to appear in the Store within the next six months.

The models are available exclusively through the SEPTA Transit Gift Shop. The first run has sold out and the SEPTA Store has placed more orders for the Silverliner IV powered and dummy models and these will be delivered in the Spring of this year. Currently, their retail price is $182.50 for the powered RTR model and $82 for the nonpowered model. Powered models feature one truck powered and all wheel pickup, and nonpowered cars feature metal wheels. Nonpowered models feature frames that can accept the IHP drive in the future, whenever we decide to make it available separately (it will retail for far cheaper than the NWSL Stanton Drive). Future planned enhancements will combine to make these the best Silverliner IV models you can buy in HO scale.

Alas, no N scale version is planned at the moment, but if sufficient interest is shown, we could develop a pattern and a drive for such a project.

Other imminent SEPTA projects for modelers and the Store now in the works include PCC-II (Route 15) cars, Red Arrow double-end interurban 'PCC' cars, and Market-Frankford Adtranz M4 cars. The PCC-II cars will be available in April. The Red Arrow cars will be moulded this week with a projected early April release. The M4 cars will be available later this month. By the way, M4 prototypes are now in the SEPTA Store, so if you are in the area, stop by to drool and place your pre-orders with them (the display M4s will retail for under $100 for a 2-car set, and they are built and painted!).

Mike Bartel
IHP
http://ihphobby.tripod.com
  by green_elite_cab

jetfan wrote:For those who may be interested in models of the Silverliner IV in kit form, we are offering a pre-order promotion. Please visit:

http://islandmodelworks.com/philly.html

for more information.

We will also be releasing these models in N scale in the future.
Thanks,
Joe
Island Modelworks LLC
Will you produce Reading Company road numbers in the future? The current Silverliner IV set is nice, but i notice it follows more of the more recent #s (many former Reading Silverliner IVs were renumbered when they were rebuilt without PCB transformers).

Also, pictures would be nice, any pre-production models?
Mike@IHP wrote:Nonpowered models feature frames that can accept the IHP drive in the future, whenever we decide to make it available separately (it will retail for far cheaper than the NWSL Stanton Drive).
Yeah, i've yet to get a hold of the production drive (i think i'm gonna wait for the Married pair to buy a powered one, for now). I am interested if you will sell whole frames and such, as i have about 15 Arrow IIIs, and i don't think the Stanton drive can handle them (not yet anyways).

I just got my Stanton Drive back from NWSL after rebuilding, this time with metal gears. the noise went up, but the cars still don't go as fast as i'd like. I got it to push and pull two additional Silverliner IIIs on the IHP trucks, but at that point i don't know if its what people will look for. I took a short video of it, will have to post it on the power truck thread.
  by jetfan

green_elite_cab wrote:
Will you produce Reading Company road numbers in the future? The current Silverliner IV set is nice, but i notice it follows more of the more recent #s (many former Reading Silverliner IVs were renumbered when they were rebuilt without PCB transformers).

Also, pictures would be nice, any pre-production models?
Chris, we will produce the decals if there is a demand for them. We do not have any pre-production photos as the models do not exist as anything other than CAD files at this time. At this point we only have many hours of time and research invested in this project. If we had the physical models on hand, it would be a matter of producing the molds only. The only part of the model that is completed are the newly redesigned trucks and that's only because they are similar to the Arrow III's.

Joe
Island Modelworks LLC
  by Mirai Zikasu

Honestly, showing some AutoCAD images in lieu of produced models would be a great incentive to promote the deal and future models. Not to mention, it's a good chance to get some feedback from your customers on tweaking any final details before sending them out for production.
  by green_elite_cab

Mirai Zikasu wrote:Honestly, showing some AutoCAD images in lieu of produced models would be a great incentive to promote the deal and future models. Not to mention, it's a good chance to get some feedback from your customers on tweaking any final details before sending them out for production.
Yes, i agree. then no one can complain. I remember on the Arrow IIIs they were missing corner marker lights (which is not the kinda detail a modeler can add with after-market parts). Things of that nature would be easy to spot if you show us a picture, and the model could be ready to go
  by jetfan

Good idea guys, I will post an image in the next day or so as posting something that is legible requires a little more time as the parts are designed for ease of mold making. We have to create an assembly, which isn't difficult, just a little time consuming as some features have to be removed for display purposes as they wouldn't look right. You'll have to take my word for it as we've discovered new methods for creating some of the sub-assemblies for a better final product.

As for the Arrows, Chris, you are correct, we initially missed those marker lights, and thanks to someone pointing it out(Anthony?), it was adjusted before the models went into production. We have assembled a kit and will post an updated image shortly for those interested. We will also have them at the Edison show in two weeks if in the area.

Joe
Island Modelworks LLC
  by N-Trizzy2609

jetfan wrote:Good idea guys, I will post an image in the next day or so as posting something that is legible requires a little more time as the parts are designed for ease of mold making. We have to create an assembly, which isn't difficult, just a little time consuming as some features have to be removed for display purposes as they wouldn't look right. You'll have to take my word for it as we've discovered new methods for creating some of the sub-assemblies for a better final product.

As for the Arrows, Chris, you are correct, we initially missed those marker lights, and thanks to someone pointing it out(Anthony?), it was adjusted before the models went into production. We have assembled a kit and will post an updated image shortly for those interested. We will also have them at the Edison show in two weeks if in the area.

Joe
Island Modelworks LLC
I shall see you at the show, Joe.
  by jetfan

We'll be in section K almost dead center, see you there Nick and all that stop by.

Joe
Island Modelworks LLC
  by jetfan

We are happy to announce that we received more than enough deposits to make the Silverliner IV's a reality, thank you. We have been extremely busy and haven't had a chance to modify the files as to show a presentation model, we will get to it in the next few weeks. We expect to have the Silverliner IV's at the East Penn Meet in May.
Thanks,
Joe
Island Modelworks LLC
  by Sir Ray

Well, I got my deposit in a few days ago on the Silverliners IV, and looking forward to them.
Just wondering:
1) Is there a time schedule yet?
2) Will you have enough Silverliner Decal sets for purchase (I'll need two for the married pair).
  by jetfan

Hello Ray,
Thank you for your inquiry and deposit. We expect to have the Silverliners in production in late May, we would like to have them at the East Penn meet in May. We have plenty of decals, however, for the promotion, we have included the decals along with the kits for the promotional rate, which ends today.
Joe
Island Modelworks LLC