• Silverliner III move today

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by ekt8750

trainspot wrote:Caught this at Wayne Jct., could this be the 9001? Any other details? Thanks for input.http://trainspot.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... id=4741894
and
http://trainspot.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... id=4741895
That's actually a SLII. That car was sitting in the corner of Wayne Jct's yard for quite awhile. Dunno if it was the one set aside for preservation or not though.
  by R36 Combine Coach

9001 was last used as a shop switcher at Overbrook as late as 2013.
  by MACTRAXX

Trainspot and Everyone:

There is a way to tell if this is Silverliner Two #9001: On the door under the cab is the RDG class
which is still visible: Class REB-13. I recall that all 17 of the RDG S2 MU cars were so designated.

The last Silverliner Three car was #236...What ever became of that car?

MACTRAXX
  by trainspot

Having had cataract surgery recently, my near sight isn't that good yet. I've been told this was a former PRR SL II, but still no number yet. My RRPA album has mostly photos of the opposite sides of the cars (West Trenton) so we may never know. Good to see one intact again though!
  by trainspot

Was able to blow up (& see!) my original, I do see "REB" on the door, so it is in fact a Reading car.
  by R36 Combine Coach

The number appears to be 9001 as well. Here's the original Reading Company press photo of 9001, September 1963.
  by trainspot

R36 Combine Coach wrote:The number appears to be 9001 as well. Here's the original Reading Company press photo of 9001, September 1963.
What I originally thought, thanks! I thought I read 9001 had been set aside. Wonder where it will end up?
  by R36 Combine Coach

trainspot wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:The number appears to be 9001 as well. Here's the original Reading Company press photo of 9001, September 1963.
What I originally thought, thanks! I thought I read 9001 had been set aside. Wonder where it will end up?
I recall probably Reading Technical (not RRMPA).
  by glennk419

Except possibly for ex-PRR 257 which burned and may still be on hold as legal evidence, I believe RDG 9001 is the only other remaining SLII still on the property. I too heard that it was destined for the RCTHS in Hamburg, PA. I know that RRMPA has one or two of the original PRR Pioneer cars but don't believe they picked up any II's or III's. It's obviously being moved into or out of the WEC shop, possibly for a check up before going to NS for transport ( OR, maybe it's 92 day inspection :wink: ).

From that shot, she still looks pretty darn good for a 54 year old car. I do have to wonder what happened to the center window and number boards though.
  by scotty269

glennk419 wrote:Except possibly for ex-PRR 257 which burned and may still be on hold as legal evidence, I believe RDG 9001 is the only other remaining SLII still on the property. I too heard that it was destined for the RCTHS in Hamburg, PA. I know that RRMPA has one or two of the original PRR Pioneer cars but don't believe they picked up any II's or III's. It's obviously being moved into or out of the WEC shop, possibly for a check up before going to NS for transport ( OR, maybe it's 92 day inspection :wink: ).

From that shot, she still looks pretty darn good for a 54 year old car. I do have to wonder what happened to the center window and number boards though.
Would SEPTA have removed number boards to officially take it off roster? Center window could easily have been for a training exercise.
  by Broadway

#238 is still sitting behind Wayne Electric Shop. 257 was cut in half and hauled away on trailers from Overbrook Shop a couple years ago. The # boards on 9001 were most likely taken by souvenir hunters years ago.
  by dcipjr

As I recall, SEPTA was selling the number boards for the IIs and IIIs in the gift shop at 1234 Market—if memory serves, though, they started doing that after folks started taking the boards off the cars.

#238 is still behind Wayne Electric; it's visible briefly as you pass by, though it's behind a cab car for the wire train.

The car that moved had to be 9001. It was being stored with 238 behind Wayne Electric.

Does anyone know where 9001 went?

It would make sense if it was going to some Reading historical-type organization. That would also explain why #238 is still on the property, as it's a PRR car.

Hopefully it was going to its future home to be preserved, not cut up into razor blades like the rest of the IIs and IIIs. I wonder what they'll do with 238.
  by Wind

I have just come across this thread and I have found new developments with that Silverliner II.

While riding by Wayne Electric today, 7/19, I noticed that Silverliner II coupled up to a Silverliner IV single unit in the yard. What I found even more crazy was one of the red lights on the SL-II was lit up! The pan was dropped on the SL-II and was up on the SL-IV. It looked very clean, too. I didn't notice any rust, graffiti or anything. All of the decals around the windows and the SEPTA logos on the ends were very much in tact. The number boards were gone, just like what's pictured. It even looked like the headlights lights were still in below the cab windows, which I believe are missing from that heavily tagged Airport SL-III and SL-II coupled up to it.

Speaking of the SL-III/II, I have noticed that people were saying that the SL-II mentioned above is the SL-II that has been sitting behind Wayne Electric for the past 5 or so years, however I think this is a different one. Number 1: the SL-II that has been sitting with the Airport SL-III was still visible today, still in the same spot as they have been. And number 2: the pan looks like it is relatively new. It's silver, unlike the two sitting Silverliners, whose pantographs look quite dirty and are red.

On the return 3 hours later, the SL-II and SL-IV single were both gone from the yard. Some Bombardiers and Diesels and other un-retired Silverliners blocked my view of the Airport III and SL-II, but I'm pretty sure they didn't move those.