• Silver Line to Airport, June 5?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by helium

Anyone else seen this message in the Courthouse or Trade Center stations?

by Diverging Route

The Transit Commitments Status Report http://www.mbta.com/insidethet/transitcommitments.asp says on or before June 1. (The rest of this is good reading too.)

by #5 - Dyre Ave

Regardless of when the service starts, I'll be riding it out to Logan to see how well it runs. I'm sure it's going to be a popular route within a few months of service, given that it will be connecting Logan Airport with South Station. And they're tailoring the service to peak airport travel times as opposed to traditional commuter time periods. That's a smart move.

by apodino

Haven't been on here in a while due to internet problems. I am sorry I missed the deadling for co moderators because I wanted to throw names in on that.

Anyways, this will be great for me. I fly into Boston from WI quite a bit, and since I am going to Stoughton, it will be much easier for me to take the Silver Line into South Station than the Blue Line from the airport. Why the delay in this anyways, they already have the equipment and the demand.

by octr202

apodino wrote:Haven't been on here in a while due to internet problems. I am sorry I missed the deadling for co moderators because I wanted to throw names in on that.

Anyways, this will be great for me. I fly into Boston from WI quite a bit, and since I am going to Stoughton, it will be much easier for me to take the Silver Line into South Station than the Blue Line from the airport. Why the delay in this anyways, they already have the equipment and the demand.
Actually it was equipment. They've been running the Waterfront service with a number of the straight trackelss trolleys intended for North Cambridge. Apparently they've only recently got enough of the dual modes running to be able to add airport service, which will no doubt be heavily partonized.

by #5 - Dyre Ave

They're also getting eight dual-modes with wider doors designed for the SL1 Airport branch (funded in part by Massport). I'm not sure exactly how many of those have been delivered, but I'm sure there will be enough of them ready to go for June 1st.

by octr202

#5 - Dyre Ave wrote:They're also getting eight dual-modes with wider doors designed for the SL1 Airport branch (funded in part by Massport). I'm not sure exactly how many of those have been delivered, but I'm sure there will be enough of them ready to go for June 1st.
And (reportedly) luggage racks!

by #5 - Dyre Ave

That's right, luggage racks - how can I forget. I wonder how they'll be installed on the buses.

by Diverging Route

There are now signs at South Station, just inside the fare gates to the Red/Silver Lines, saying that service beings on June 1.
  by Derf

I cannot wait to give it a try. I fly in and out of Logan every other month and live in Dedham. So now the SilverLine to S.Station to the Commuter Rail.

Now for the off topic part;
Does anyone know why in S.Station, all of the signage on the Silver Line level is Red and not Silver? More specifically, all of the borders and the signes that say "South Station".

Thanks

by RailBus63

As of the May 23rd NETransit bus roster, the only Massport dual-modes available were 1125 and 1126 (both in testing). Sounds like the regular dual-modes will be running to the airport for a little while - get your pictures!

JD

by Diverging Route

As of yesterday, the Commuter Rail Passenger Information Signs were scrolling FLY THE SILVER LINE TO LOGAN FROM SOUTH STATION STARTING JUNE 1, 2005

by Venable

Does anyone know where I might find a schedule / timetable? I poked around on allaboutsilverline.com and mbta.com but could only find the current (i.e. Sunday PM) schedule.

Thanks!

by snowpilot

Sign in the aquarium stop said Silverline to airport starts June 1st.

by efin98

Massport's website has it at June 1st as well