• Silver Line Thread/Tracker

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by efin98

Ron Newman wrote:Except it isn't going to the airport yet, so neither of those groups is going to use it this year.
Oh well, bad mistake on the T's part...

Then again check the schedule again and you will see that the section bound for the airport is due to open in January so that's a moot point, the line will be open around the time the students come back to Boston for the Spring semester.

by octr202

Of course, that's if the dual-modes are trouble free and don't fall behind on the delivery schedule. At least they're a never-tried-before design...

by efin98

octr202 wrote:Of course, that's if the dual-modes are trouble free and don't fall behind on the delivery schedule. At least they're a never-tried-before design...
They are already in Boston and are undergoing final assembly/acceptance testing, just waiting for the final testing which shouldn't take long since they are already out there on the roads out of service in Chelsea(witnessed this past Tuesday as a matter of fact!).

by jwhite07

What in the world would a dual-mode be doing in Chelsea? They're being delivered to Dorchester. Are you sure it wasn't a CNG that you saw?

Last I heard (earlier this week), there were only 3 dual-modes delivered so far, and they still needed to undergo final assembly before being tested.

by efin98

jwhite07 wrote:What in the world would a dual-mode be doing in Chelsea? They're being delivered to Dorchester. Are you sure it wasn't a CNG that you saw?

Last I heard (earlier this week), there were only 3 dual-modes delivered so far, and they still needed to undergo final assembly before being tested.
I don't have a clue, but I had it confirmed that it was dualmodes that were in Chelsea by someone who knows what he is talking about when it comes to buses and the T...

If I had to hazard a guess I would think it would have to be due to the similar characteristics of area of Chelsea they were seen in and the area of South Boston that they will operate in. Either that or it's the area that has been designated for testing of new buses and training drivers since almost all of them have been tested in the lot for the past year or so...
  by southstationtrack13

There is some testing of buses that are able to be driven by wire that is that the driver is resposible for speed only and that the bus has sensors that follow lines or wires in the pavement. I have some websites if anyone is instrested. Theorecticaly(Probaly Mispelled) you could have Bus Trains were Bused are MUed or Multible Units hooked together to increase capacity.

by jwhite07

There is some testing of buses that are able to be driven by wire that is that the driver is resposible for speed only and that the bus has sensors that follow lines or wires in the pavement. I have some websites if anyone is instrested. Theorecticaly(Probaly Mispelled) you could have Bus Trains were Bused are MUed or Multible Units hooked together to increase capacity.
Yes, wire guided bus technology has been used (not very successfully, it must be noted) in Europe. However, that has nothing to do with the application of BRT in Boston, which does not - and probably never will - employ that technology.

by southstationtrack13

So what problems have they had in europe? And who is to say if that cant be worked out here?

by efin98

I got another chance to see the buses at Chelsea and the lights in the lot that they are stored at are tricking- they lok like 60' buses from afar but it's the out of service NABIs. Back to back they look like they are the articulated silver line buses, just missing the Silver Line shrink wrap...

by pdxstreetcar

So when the airport service opens in January with dual modes does that mean the pure ETBs will be gone?

I wish MBTA had not be so silent on the launch date for the Silverline, for the last 6 months I searched everywhere on their website (and the internet for that matter) for an updated opening date but couldnt find one. The first I heard about the December 17, opening date in that article a few weeks ago on the bus tunnel. I am flying out of Providence that day, had I known sooner I'd have flown out of Boston after checking out the Silverline. oh well, there will hopefully be plenty of time to see it, but I was thinking the T might not have a problem with photography on opening day.

by jwhite07

So when the airport service opens in January with dual modes does that mean the pure ETBs will be gone?
Well, that's the idea, but I for one am kind of pessimistic that enough of the dual modes will be delivered and/or operating satisfactorily so soon. While two months may seem to be plenty of time to deliver, test, and accept at least 8 buses, we're not talking about an off-the-shelf design. The dual-modes are a rather exotic beast, and even though the underlying technology is not exactly groundbreaking (they're essentially a rubber-tired version of the FL-9 locomotive) there's sure to be some kinks and quirks to overcome. Just look at the problems Seattle had with their dual modes (granted, those were built by Breda... 'nuff said!).

by pdxstreetcar

^
Thanks.
But in the unlikely event that everything goes to plan I find it suprising that they are planning to place the pure ETBs in there for just a month (or less), I would have thought that they would just wait one month longer and only run dual-modes because it seems like a big cost and effort to keep moving the buses.

by jwhite07

I assume the T wanted to get the Transitway opened without any further delay beyond what they've already incurred, and figured they'd inevitably need to utilize the ETBs for much longer than a month. I think they were wise in doing so!

by Robert Paniagua

From braves again:
What is the official opening date of the Silver Line Phase II.

by jwhite07

Scheduled opening is Friday, December 17, but that is naturally subject to change!