• Signals Always Red... Why?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by Engineer James

Now, the line I live on is the CSX, Toledo to Saginaw line otherwise known as the Toldeo Subdivision. Now, here is a question. Why are the signals always red, even though there is NO train in that block? The Smallest block is 1/2 mile long. You can see the start of the signal block and the end. However, its ALWAYS red. Shouldn't it be green?? Always wondered.

by jg greenwood

Conserve power? Extend the life of the colored signals?

by steemtrayn

Interlocking signals are red until the dispatcher pulls 'em up for an approaching train, then they go red again as the train passes. In automatic signal territory where signaling is allowed in both directions, the signals in the direction NOT established by the dispatcher will be red, the signals in the ESTABLISHED direction will be displayed in accordance with conditions.

by Engineer James

Well, on both sides of the Block are 2 roads, so you can see All the signals... and both are red? I am confused On what u said steemtrayn.

by clearblock

As steemtrayn said, interlocking signals will be red in both directions until the dispatcher sets up a route for an approaching train.

So, red in both directions is the normal situation except when a train is approaching.

by Engineer James

But, why? I mean NS interlocking signals just 1/2 mile southeast of there are always all three colors.... Amtrak also operates over the route.

by Steve F45

I was going to ask this same question regarding cp-5 on csx river line. When it used to be the 2 light signal pole near the draw bridge the lights would only come on when an approaching train is near. Now withe double tracking the big mast with 3 signals for each track is always red. No i know why.

by conrail_engineer

Engineer James wrote:But, why? I mean NS interlocking signals just 1/2 mile southeast of there are always all three colors.... Amtrak also operates over the route.
If it is an AUTOMATIC BLOCK signal, it will show the status of the block ahead. It may, depending on the system and wiring, be on all the time; on only when that block is occupied, or on whenever an adjascent block is occupied, even over a diamond. But it will show stop, approach, or clear, as conditions ahead stand.

If it is an INTERLOCKING it must be lined by a dispatcher to show a signal other than stop.

by conrail_engineer

2005Vdub wrote:I was going to ask this same question regarding cp-5 on csx river line. When it used to be the 2 light signal pole near the draw bridge the lights would only come on when an approaching train is near. Now withe double tracking the big mast with 3 signals for each track is always red. No i know why.
As CSX crews make repairs, these changes are springing up. CSX apparently doesn't believe in having signals darken on unoccupied blocks...on the Newcastle Sub their wayside signals are always lit.

As they do work on Conrail signals the odd ones are showing lighted all the time. Not even always in interlockings...there's an advance signal at Angola, milepost 21, that is constantly on. I used to live a mile away and cross the tracks going to work; so I'd see that signal all the time.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

this is just like on the Northeast Corridor, the signals are will always be red until a dispacther lines a train throught the block. ....if there is no train path set up, the signal stays red

by emd_SD_60

This is the same way the signals at Chap (MP 84.8) on the UP (former MoPac) Chester Sub are set. They usually stay red when a train is nowhere near, then when a train gets in the block a few miles away it will show a high green, or if a train had just went thru and another one is following behind, it will show a flashing approach (amber) signal fow a few minutes and when the train is about 2 miles away from Gorham it goes to green. Other than that they stay red 24/7. Also the same for a signal where it goes from single track to double track at Howardton (MP 90.5). There was a signal bridge at MP 83.8 that stayed lighted up continuously as well, but has since been gone dark and only lit when a train is in the block. That one strangely showed approach signals all the time if there was no action on that block.

by steemtrayn

emd_SD_60 wrote:There was a signal bridge at MP 83.8 that stayed lighted up continuously as well, but has since been gone dark and only lit when a train is in the block. That one strangely showed approach signals all the time if there was no action on that block.
Not so strange if it's a distant signal for an interlocking.

by CROR410

conrail_engineer wrote: If it is an AUTOMATIC BLOCK signal, it will show the status of the block ahead. It may, depending on the system and wiring, be on all the time; on only when that block is occupied, or on whenever an adjascent block is occupied, even over a diamond. But it will show stop, approach, or clear, as conditions ahead stand.

If it is an INTERLOCKING it must be lined by a dispatcher to show a signal other than stop.
Exactly....it depends on how a RR wires/programs the system.

by ACLfan2

Engineer James,

Railroad signals are red, if lit, for safety purposes, until an oncoming train has another signal (yellow, green or combinations, as applicable), as determined by the dispatcher. The reason being that there is no reason for them to be any other color than red, unless an oncoming train has the right to pass by that signal. Red signals are a safety issue.

Train signals are much like highway traffic signals. A Red traffic signal keeps you from crashing into a car coming from a different direction. Only when you gain the right to proceed does the signal light turn from red to green. Same basic setup with railroad signal lights.

Lately, some red signals are being replaced with "approach-lit" signal lights, which are dark (no power) until activated by an oncoming train. Then, the signal lights display the colors as determined by the dispatcher. Once the train has passed by, the signals then go back to dark, as an energy and bulb-saving measure

Hope that this explanation helps.

Take care and best wishes!

ACLfan2

by Engineer James

ok, thanks.... now I understand.....