• Short MBCR Commuter Rail Train

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by #5 - Dyre Ave

Salzman103 wrote:
"901 is the only bilevel opearating the MN. the rest of the MBTA equip on MN is all bomb cars as i have found out, and seen earlier today and tonight, more MBTA equip will be arriving this mornning at 3am to MN to replace NYCTA subway cars which were operating toinghts rushhour."

What?! First of all, I'm sure the FRA would bust a vein over seeing non-FRA-compliant NYC subway cars running on FRA-regulated Metro-North. Secondly, it is NOT possible for NYC subway cars to run on MN due to the different types of 3rd rail used - the subway uses over-riding 3rd rail (the power contact shoe runs on top of the rail) while MN uses under-riding 3rd rail (the shoe runs below the rail).

And if MBTA 901 is running on MN, where is it running? Certainly not out of Grand Central, whose tunnels can not accomodate bi-level cars.

by Salzman103

All shoes were swapped for NYC shoes, and FRA has allowed R44/R46 only to operate MAS of 45mph between GCT-NWP and GCT-Ardsley. push pulls are only being used from 125th and north due to the crisis.

by #5 - Dyre Ave

I'm pretty sure if there was any crisis on MN, that info would be listed on http://www.mta.info - and there isnt any! It would also be on http://www.subchat.com . The only thing on there is that all this information you listed is completely untrue - which it is!

"All shoes were swapped for NYC shoes?" I'm no engineer, but I know it's not as simple as swapping shoes in order to get R44s and R46s to operate on MN tracks. I also know that the A, E, F, G, R and V lines do not have enough R44 or R46 cars to spare for MN, without causing total meltdown on those lines.

And if the T did send CR cars to MN, you can bet that MBTA commuters would riot over that. They're already ticked off about how unreliable and overcrowded the trains are now. They'd be calling for Mulhern's hide if CR service got any worse than it is now.

by efin98

If you are going to say the Statin Island Rapid Transit R44s that's just as stupid. Like as was said before there would be a service advisory regarding that due to the number of R44s neded AND there would have been news regarding the use days, weeks, or even months ago IF they were going to be used.

And while you are at it, kindly explain why none of the people who would know about such a lease agreement have chimed in? Why was it not reported in this forum first before anyone down south would have seen the first coaches transferred??? Why is it that only YOU seem to know all the facts but none of the people who report the whereabouts of the MBTA equiptment reguarly and who would know this information first hand not say a word before this move.

by Diverging Route

Somebody's playing April Fools a bit early.

NYC subway cars platform at a different height than LIRR/MNRR M1-8s. It would be a giant step up! Makes "Mind the gap!" have a new meaning.

by octr202

Where are the Kawasaki 900-series cars being built? Does Kawasaki still have a plant in Yonkers? Could they have been out testing them on MN at some point, which might have started the foamer rumor mill going?

by Diverging Route

From NETransit:
First four cars (900-903) assembled by Kawasaki in Kobe Japan and shipped via Port of New York, arrived last week of December 2004 for acceptance testing.

Remaining cars to be assembled by Kawasaki at their Lincoln Nebraska facility.

by octr202

Diverging Route wrote:From NETransit:
First four cars (900-903) assembled by Kawasaki in Kobe Japan and shipped via Port of New York, arrived last week of December 2004 for acceptance testing.

Remaining cars to be assembled by Kawasaki at their Lincoln Nebraska facility.
:( DOH! Shoulda read there before posting...

by Otto Vondrak

There are NO subway cars operating on MN. There are NO MBTA cars in service on MN. Looks like we have three kids who just graduated to the "troll" class.

-otto-

by Robert Paniagua

Thank you Otto.........

I was gonna say, it is logistically IMPOSSIBLE to have NYCTA equipment running on M-N, LIRR, or even our MBTA system. All these guys want to do is being "abusive". I'll keep an eye on them closely next time.......

by KFRG

Rob,
Yes, it is technically possible. Both the TA and LI use PRR-style 3rd rail, and TA is all standard guage. Back in the '70's when the R44's were new, they were tested on high speed runs on the LIRR main around Jamaica and Forest Hills. On nycsubway.org, there are a few pictures of this.

by Robert Paniagua

Oh yeah I forgot about that, I remember seeing those shots of the R44 when they were Brand new, and ran on trial runs on LIRR.

by Otto Vondrak

The Hawker-Sidley PATH cars tested on the LIRR, too. LIRR MP-72's ran on the SIRT in revenue service. Men have walked on the moon.

Let's get back to the original topic at hand and forget this foolishness.

-otto-

by KFRG

I realize this is off-topic for a Boston board, but what was so foolish about Rob's question?