Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#129003  by KFRG

Mechanically, what are the differences between the Shoreliner I's and II's, and the III's and IV's?

#129074  by DutchRailnut

read earlier post

#129103  by KFRG

Dutchrailnut,
So besides what you stated in your first post, there are no other differences between the types? I would think there are more technical differences.

#129134  by DutchRailnut

The toilets on first two are self contained Microphor mini septics and on second two its a retention toilet with tank under car.
all four type cars have same braking and 90% of truck components are interchangable

#129630  by Nester

IIRC the buzzer is also different between the I/IIs and the III/IVs. I'll be sure to listen this week and point out the difference (I think one is two tones and the other is one).

Nester

#131029  by huntersails23

i've got an idea that will help the mta to no end!

PUT GARBAGE RECEPTICLES ON THE TRAINS!!!

#131073  by DutchRailnut

They did a few years back but nobody used them and were deemed a fire hazard by NYFD. Im sure office of homeland security would frown on garbage cans too.
The question is do your fellow passengers leave their S**t at home too on floors and seats ????
time to get the average commuter housebroken.

#131094  by Nester

The MTA does not answer to the FDNY. They are exempt from local laws. While the trash bins probably were a fire hazard, the FDNY could not compel their removal from trains (even if they could, you could stop the train at Ludlow/Mt. Vernon West/Mt. Vernon East and put them back on).

Yes, commuters are messy, but MN riders are charming darlings compared to their slob neighbors on the LIRR.

Back to the subject:

I'm pretty sure Shoreliner IIIs have manual end doors and IVs have automatic doors that open by pressing a switch -- similar to what is found on Amtrak Amfleet coaches. I should probably start taking pictures -- there are no good resources in the internet for these coaches.

Nester

#131371  by DutchRailnut

MTA has to comply with firecodes Nester. nobody is exempt.

#131510  by MN Jim

Actually, no. The MTA and its agencies are not bound by any local or county laws, only by state laws and regulations. They comply with local laws and regulations by choice, not because they have to. If there is some compelling reason why the MTA feels it should not comply with a local law or regulation, including fire codes, it can do as it pleases, as long as it is in compliance with state laws.

If the FDNY recommended that waste baskets not be placed on trains, it's a sure bet the MTA would comply, but technically, they don't have to.

Jim

#131517  by Nester

MN Jim wrote:Actually, no. The MTA and its agencies are not bound by any local or county laws, only by state laws and regulations. They comply with local laws and regulations by choice, not because they have to. If there is some compelling reason why the MTA feels it should not comply with a local law or regulation, including fire codes, it can do as it pleases, as long as it is in compliance with state laws.
Bingo! A good example of MTA ignoring local laws:

1. MTA police permit brown-bagging of beer on the LIRR Mezzanine at Penn Station (NYC has a "no open containers of alcohol in public" law).

2. Despite the Town of Southampton passing a zoning law prohibiting radio towers, the LIRR intends to construct a radio tower in Southampton.

Nester

#131524  by mainline

Radio tower has been installed at Southampton.

#131549  by DutchRailnut

Again I bettya the communications tower can be proven a neccesity for safe interstate passenger traffic and the tower sits on Federal property(railroad)
Last edited by DutchRailnut on Sat May 28, 2005 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#131581  by mainline

The LIRR put up the base first. Then the protests starting coming in. I knew since the town had no juristidiction it would only be a matter of time before the tower went up. I thought it was stupid since communications is a safety issue. Quite honestly the tower looks great next to the Petro 250,000 gallon Aboveground fuel oil tank and the LIPA generating station.