Railroad Forums 

• Shamokin Valley Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1042878  by obsessed railfan

Does anyone here know what are the current Shamokin Valley Railroad operations are like? Can any of the North Shore system engines be used as motive power or do they usually assign the same engines for the SVRR? I've heard a while back that they generally only run as far as Shamokin only a few times a week, and that it's rare for them to run as far as Locust Summit on the R&N. Is this still accurate today?

Thanks!
 #1079499  by GP30 5513

I believe that NSHR/SVRR interchange with the RBMN at Locust Summit Yard. There's been a fair amount of MOW going on between LS and Shamokin, with new ballast, tie replacement and even a siding going in along Route 901. That was all done a few months back.... I should get back up that way again sometime soon.
 #1079501  by GP30 5513

(Forgot to answer your other questions) As for motive power, it varies. While I haven't seen a train traversing the line (yet), from pics posted by other railfans, power depends on the train I suppose. I did see a few pics of the ex-MILW 9052 & a Reading-schemed 55xx unit going all the way to LSY, and I've heard of their ex-NS SW1500 #2238 (the only one in NS black) running up & down the branch as well.

I suppose you'd have to email them directly to get a possible concrete answer.