Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Patrick A.

While waiting for a train at 23rd street an announcement was made that MNR service was suspended out of GCT, what's the story?
  by runningwithscalpels

Patrick A. wrote:While waiting for a train at 23rd street an announcement was made that MNR service was suspended out of GCT, what's the story?
"Signal Trouble" - although as of 15 minutes ago, according to MNR's Facebook page, all service has resumed with residual delays.
  by MNCRR9000

Tuesday Evening May 8, 2012 Service Disruption

It also appears as if service is delayed this evening 05/08/2012 10 to 15 minutes on outbound trains and up to 30 minutes on inbound trains due to fire department activity in the Park Avenue Tunnel. Listening to the FDNY sounds like there is a transformer fire. Activity is between 50 and 51st Street.
Last edited by MNCRR9000 on Tue May 08, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by RearOfSignal

The suspended service happened around 07:30 not 19:30 and was a computer problem in OCC not a fire.
  by MNCRR9000

The suspended service happened around 07:30 not 19:30 and was a computer problem in OCC not a fire.

The previous posts occured this evening where service was delayed due to a fire department activity in the Park Avenue Tunnel. I guess I maybe should have started a new thread instead of adding it onto this one which was probably confusing.
  by fset

Because of this problem getting MetroNorth into and out of Grand Central, MTA decided to terminate the New Haven line in The Bronx, and riders were asked to hike uphill to the #2 train.
Doesn't Metro North have the ability to turn back trains at Harlem-125 Street??
  by pnaw10

fset wrote:Because of this problem getting MetroNorth into and out of Grand Central, MTA decided to terminate the New Haven line in The Bronx, and riders were asked to hike uphill to the #2 train.
Doesn't Metro North have the ability to turn back trains at Harlem-125 Street??
They may, but depending upon various circumstances, it was likely logistically easier to terminate the trains at Woodlawn (I assume this is the Bronx station you're referring to, as it's right next to the 2 line).

Consider this: at 125th Harlem, you have four tracks serving all three lines. It could be tricky to get trains in and out of there without having GCT to turn trains around. At Woodlawn (which I assume is the NHL station you're referring to, given its proximity to the 2 train's 233 St station), you also have four tracks, but only serving two lines. I'm not sure how far Harlem Line trains were going, but if they weren't using Woodlawn as well, they could have been OK using Wakefield with a similar (but slightly longer) walk to the 241 St station.

By avoiding having the lines diverge, it would be easier to keep the trains running in and out on schedule (or at least as close to schedule as reasonably possible, given the circumstances).

Did Hudson Line trains go to Yankee Stadium (which now would be my first guess) or did they terminate at Marble Hill (formerly the only non-Manhattan station near the subway, albeit with 3 flights of stairs in between)?
  by RearOfSignal

It's hardly that complicated, CP 6 was down and several tracks were out at CP 5 for pre-scheduled maintenance. So weird routings were necessary across both interlockings; meaning each switch would have to been cranked by hand -a time consuming procedure. So to expedite things Harlem and New Haven trains were terminated at Woodlawn.