• SEPTA HO Scale Model Trains

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by N-Trizzy2609

green_elite_cab wrote:
Mirai Zikasu wrote:Let me add that the problem CAB is referring to with IMW SEPTA decals is in regards to the Silverliner II set. The decal that would be applied to the fireman side on the non-pantograph end (The right side if looking at the face with no pantograph) is not correct. The SEPTA logo and wording need to be flipped.
But again, a simple fix with a sharp exacto blade. the length might be another problem, but since i haven't physically used these decals, and i don't know how much of an overlap may have been used on N-trizzy's models, i wouldn't say that for sure.
That decal set, that railcar, the engine for it, everything on that train is the reason why it only ran for 28 Seconds and will never run again. The decal set is short on BOTH sides I tried to center them as much as possible. The UNprototypical revered flying S annoyed the crap outta me. I'm just going to keep stocking on Silverliner IVs till IMW come out with a Silverliner III model or redesigned II decal set. I do like how my Silverliner II came out even though the flaws. I try to make it work. I ordered two pairs of IVs from IMW hopping they will look as good as the Arrow IIIs. I might buy another in June. I'm also thinking of getting another IHP Silverliner IV just to even things up 300. So it won't look alien with the IMW cars.
  by green_elite_cab

N-Trizzy2609 wrote:
That decal set, that railcar, the engine for it, everything on that train is the reason why it only ran for 28 Seconds and will never run again. The decal set is short on BOTH sides I tried to center them as much as possible. The UNprototypical revered flying S annoyed the crap outta me. I'm just going to keep stocking on Silverliner IVs till IMW come out with a Silverliner III model or redesigned II decal set. I do like how my Silverliner II came out even though the flaws. I try to make it work. I ordered two pairs of IVs from IMW hopping they will look as good as the Arrow IIIs. I might buy another in June. I'm also thinking of getting another IHP Silverliner IV just to even things up 300. So it won't look alien with the IMW cars.

Well, thats just frustrating! Another example of things not being quite right. I have to wonder what measurements were being used or if they were being double checked.

the only thing i can think to do is to buy an "extra" decal set to use as filler in future models. it doesn't hurt to have spare striping anyway if there is a problem that needs repairs. Is it all the decal stripe sections, or just the end pieces that don't fit right?

As long as their silverliner IV decals match their model, i will be pleased. The Arrows are alright, but they're still different from the Silverliner IV, so its still up for speculation until the models come out. I wonder if the fear is that we'll pick apart the model before it gets sold.

I'm certainly hoping they will go back and Fix the Silverliner II like they did the PL42AC shells. If IMW's Silverliner II was like their Arrow III, i'd buy it.
  by N-Trizzy2609

green_elite_cab wrote:
Well, thats just frustrating! Another example of things not being quite right. I have to wonder what measurements were being used or if they were being double checked.

the only thing i can think to do is to buy an "extra" decal set to use as filler in future models. it doesn't hurt to have spare striping anyway if there is a problem that needs repairs. Is it all the decal stripe sections, or just the end pieces that don't fit right?

As long as their silverliner IV decals match their model, i will be pleased. The Arrows are alright, but they're still different from the Silverliner IV, so its still up for speculation until the models come out. I wonder if the fear is that we'll pick apart the model before it gets sold.

I'm certainly hoping they will go back and Fix the Silverliner II like they did the PL42AC shells. If IMW's Silverliner II was like their Arrow III, i'd buy it.
Our voice were heard because overnight IMW just announced the Silverliner IIIs and a REVISED II model coming up right after IV which according to the page, they are "The most detail model to date." I have a feeling, it going to look almost as good as the Arrow IIIs. And yes it's just the end part of the decals that won't fit. The SL-IV decal set fits the IHP models like a glove so they should match the IMW counterpart.
http://islandmodelworks.com/philly.html
  by green_elite_cab

N-Trizzy2609 wrote:
Our voice were heard because overnight IMW just announced the Silverliner IIIs and a REVISED II model coming up right after IV which according to the page, they are "The most detail model to date." I have a feeling, it going to look almost as good as the Arrow IIIs. And yes it's just the end part of the decals that won't fit. The SL-IV decal set fits the IHP models like a glove so they should match the IMW counterpart.
http://islandmodelworks.com/philly.html

They will be interesting to see. Maybe one day soon there will be Arrow Is and IIs, but thats another story.

I'm banking on these new silverliners being devoid of front name plates, but with the proper sized letter-board on the side (and of course the roof being fixed). I might be able to play with them and make them into Pioneer III cars. probably not going to go for the Silverliner IIIs, i already have three of them and i don't know what they'll look like next to the IHP models.
  by deandremouse

Does the SEPTA store still sells their Silverliner IV HO models?

I don't live in PA, but wanted to know how available they are.
  by green_elite_cab

Not right now. Mike hasn't made any more as far as i know, all i know is that they'll show up some day.
  by N-Trizzy2609

So now that IMW is coming out with an updated Silverliner II I glad stripped the SEPTA stripes off. I repainted it and redecaled it to a Conrail era Silverliner II. This one for you GEC. BTW, this train is going to be a "Special" Silverliner II and will be parked in the yard alot. It make a cool looking model though.
  by Mirai Zikasu

Speaking of IMW, this showed up on the website last night. Some more detail shots would be nice (Hint, hint, wink, wink), but after checking out a few photos of the prototypes, the model looks to be excellent. I wish I had a chance to make the meet last weekend to see this model in person, but the married pair Silverliner IV looks like it could indeed be IMW's most detailed and accurate work yet.
  by green_elite_cab

N-Trizzy2609 wrote:So now that IMW is coming out with an updated Silverliner II I glad stripped the SEPTA stripes off. I repainted it and redecaled it to a Conrail era Silverliner II. This one for you GEC. BTW, this train is going to be a "Special" Silverliner II and will be parked in the yard alot. It make a cool looking model though.
lol, I figured it was only a matter of time!

anyways, looks pretty good. I will say though, that TYPICALLY, when SEPTA began applying meatballs, it scraped the Penn Central/Reading Company Logos off the flanks, but left them on the face of the MU car, if they left them at all. The short of it is you should check photos, i don't doubt there is a paint scheme like that out there, but its worth looking anyway.

The long story-

I think a lot of it has to do with the railroad politics of the time. the Silverliner IIs and IIIs were bought by the city of Philadelphia, but owned by their respective railroads. the Silverliner IVs were bought and owned by SEPTA in 1974, but operated by Penn Central and the Reading. As a result, Silverliner IVs often carried both SEPTA and Railroad logos. When Conrail came along in 1976, one of its earliest objectives was to get rid of costly commuter service, and no one wanted to spend the money on renaming equipment that was not expected to last under Conrail. In the late 80s, Conrail began pushing for legislation to remove passenger service from its responsibilities.

This was known as the Northeast Rail Service Act of 1981 (NERSA). It basically states that effective midnight of January 1, 1983, that Conrail could divest itself from commuter service. Many Commuter agencies, like NJ transit, were putting their own logos on equipment even before the act was passed (NJ transit didn't become a rail operator until 1983, yet full NJT Disco stripes began appearing on equipment as early as 1980). The hope was to create new images for entities like SEPTA and NJ Transit as different, better and more progressive than the old PRR/PC and Reading, in the case of the former. The hope was to give the Commuter service a new fresh look and the impression that it was free to do what it had to do instead of being controlled by clunky freight railroads.

As a result, Many SEPTA meatballs started showing up on units about this time, and the Penn Central/ Reading logos began disappearing off the flanks of Silverliner IIs and IIIs. Indeed, some units had been running nearly naked between 1976 and 1980, with only the road numbers giving any indication of which railroad the MU care belonged to. I have photos of Several Silverliner IIs and IIIs with NOTHING on them. Even the Silverliner IVs started loosing their "railroad logos".

Some SEPTA Block Logos showed up in 1981 on RDCs, but they don't appear to be widespread until after 1983.
  by green_elite_cab

Mirai Zikasu wrote:Speaking of IMW, this showed up on the website last night. Some more detail shots would be nice (Hint, hint, wink, wink), but after checking out a few photos of the prototypes, the model looks to be excellent. I wish I had a chance to make the meet last weekend to see this model in person, but the married pair Silverliner IV looks like it could indeed be IMW's most detailed and accurate work yet.
YES! finally! GOOD STUFF! THERE ARE DIMPLES for the lights! DIMPLES! Underbody looks great, things are where they should be, with nothing out of place. Set up to be a modern unit from the start, with ditch lights, but you could concieveably remove these for an earlier unit. None of the weird tiny things that effected the Arrow III. Trucks look good, Pilots look good, would like to see one with windows in it.

The wheels and underbody appear to be correct in relation to each other, and its shaped right. Really banking on those Silverliner IIs being like this. Indeed, the Silverliner IIs i'm going to wait and see about. I know i've wanted a good pair to model the ones i rode on the "farewell to the Silverliner II" trip.

I would like to see the roof a little better, as the roof hump has a particular design to it on the "sloped" ends that is hard to see in the photo.

Bottom line, nothing is there that doesn't need to be there, and everything that is there looks right. Grade= A.
  by rbreslow

Is there any actually for sale right now that are ho scale?
  by Mirai Zikasu

That depends on your definition of "right now."

Short Answer: No, there's nothing you can walk into a store and take home today.

IHP is selling their Silverliner IV singles at the SEPTA store, but when I last checked a few weeks ago, they were sold out, and the best prospects of getting them are to special order whatever you want for Mike's next run--whenever that is. For IMW, pretty much everything is special order, and according to Joe, new orders won't be taken until existing pre-orders have been filled. So, no, if you want a S-IV, you're going to have to wait a bit.
  by N-Trizzy2609

SEPTA Special #264 Finished!
  by Sir Ray

Mirai Zikasu wrote:Speaking of IMW, this showed up on the website last night. Some more detail shots would be nice (Hint, hint, wink, wink), but after checking out a few photos of the prototypes, the model looks to be excellent. I wish I had a chance to make the meet last weekend to see this model in person, but the married pair Silverliner IV looks like it could indeed be IMW's most detailed and accurate work yet.
OK, the married Silverline IV pair models showed up at my house yesterday.
Upon inspection:
The body (& chassis) moldings look OK, there is some flash - especially around the windows & doors - but nothing too worrisome or problemtatic. There are things here and there that may require some Squadron White, but I am not completely certain - will need to give the bodys & chassis a good scrub first. I only checked against a few SL IV images I have, but so far everything looks cool
Rate this a Good
Decals are included, and look Good upon first impression - I'm sure I find something under microscopic inspection, but then again I'm just an idiot - but at this time it looks like the decals are Fine.
Rate this (contigent upon closer inspection) a Good.
Windows - this may be a bit of an issue - there seems to be pitting on part of the molded window inserts - at least I tried to scratch off what seems to be greenish 'dots' on the molding, to no avail. I will need to check this out closer, as if it is a molding defect and not mold release or whatever, this will be a problem.
Didn't check fit, as you need to do some trimming of the window inset plastic sheet, and I didn't want to modify the sheets until I am certain about the 'pitting' (actually it looks like 1 big inset sheet, 'split' in half, each half has the insets for 2 sides, so you need to carve with an Xacto or equivalent - not a big deal).
The set include a bag that holds the trucks (castings look good), and some other parts which I cannot readily identify without opening the bag - this may or may not be a problem, as no instructions are included in the box (I checked), but things seem to be pretty straightforward (not sure if the chassis only fits the body in one direction). I looked at IMW's website, and did find they recommend the Stanton Power Truck from NWSL, which is a help (also mentiond the wheelsets to buy) - there is a cut-out in the lead chassis for this power truck, which is also good.