Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by tahawus84

What amazes me is how it seems we always elect people with no common sense to these positions.
  by SouthernRailway

tahawus84 wrote:What amazes me is how it seems we always elect people with no common sense to these positions.
I wouldn't have voted for Blumenthal, but he's very intelligent. Unfortunately train safety just doesn't seem to be an area of which he has a basic grasp (as shown by the Milford incident), and so it's unfortunate that he's wanting to set safety rules for railroads.
  by DutchRailnut

he had no clue on his Vietnam record either.
  by lirr42

DutchRailnut wrote:NY regulations do NOT apply in CDOT territory.
Just for future reference, according to the Connecticut Department of Transportation, Metro-North's photo policy does apply at the CT stations along the New Haven Line, and Amtrak's Photo Policy applies at stations on the Shore Line east of New Haven.
  by DutchRailnut

Then CDOT better get off their ass and publish, it or its not enforceable.
  by Tadman

ThirdRail7 wrote:Classic! I'm surprised someone didn't call for "talking yellow" lines.
Be careful, we have talking track annunciators in Chicago's terminals. You hear this disembodied voice stating "track twelve, track twelve, track twelve" and they you walk past and get "track fourteen, track fourteen, track fourteen"...

If it's that necessary in a mostly low-platform environment (IE all but six platforms at Randolph Street) wouldn't talking yellow lines be just as necessary and/or more useful to the visually impaired? Whatever...
  by deathtopumpkins

By "talking yellow lines" do you mean those automated announcements that a train is approaching? We have those at all NEC stations in Mass. They repeat "Train approaching. Please stand behind the yellow line." for several minutes before a train comes by. I'm honestly surprised more stations elsewhere don't have that.
  by DutchRailnut

If someone is to dumb to stay clear of yellow line, you really think a announcement will make them smarter ??? Really ???
  by ExCon90

Has everybody seen the story in the April Trains entitled "Another set of eyes in the cab"? It quotes no less distinguished a personage than Senator Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut, who spake thus:

"Installing these cameras will ensure that misconduct and mistakes are recorded so that those involved can be held accountable."

Well, he got that part right. As it turned out, there was a camera at Milford, and the misconduct was indeed recorded. Whether anyone will be held accountable was unclear.
  by Ridgefielder

deathtopumpkins wrote:By "talking yellow lines" do you mean those automated announcements that a train is approaching? We have those at all NEC stations in Mass. They repeat "Train approaching. Please stand behind the yellow line." for several minutes before a train comes by. I'm honestly surprised more stations elsewhere don't have that.
They have that at Kingston, RI as well- and considering how fast the Acelas blast through that station, it's not a bad idea at all. When I think about it, I'm actually rather surprised MN/CDOT *doesn't* have such things, considering how busy the line is.

How do they work, by the way? Do they run off a track circuit the same way as grade crossing flashers/gates?
  by runningwithscalpels

Don't quote me on it, but I believe the Amtrak ones trigger about a mile out.
  by deathtopumpkins

DutchRailnut wrote:If someone is to dumb to stay clear of yellow line, you really think a announcement will make them smarter ??? Really ???
It won't make them smarter, but it might make them think. In Senator Blumenthal's case such an announcement might have made someone there, be it one of the politicians or the camera crew or whoever, think to double-check that they aren't too close to the edge, since they know a train is coming.

It's just an extra precaution for people who might not be looking to see if a train is approaching.
  by DutchRailnut

Having operated trains for over 25 years, yet never had to be afraid of todays morons including this leadership figure.
We already blow horn before entering platform area. yet todays passengers stand with their smartphone 40 feet from stopped train and then miss their train ??
Crews and railroad can't be babysitters, that's a different pay rate and payable above the engineers and conductors rate.
in short form " we can't fix stupid"
  by deathtopumpkins

No one proposed the railroad become a "babysitter" though. Just that auditory announcements might be helpful. And it's not like installing a few speakers, some computer software, and either a track circuit or link into the signalling system or however they'd do it would even be that expensive.

And no, you can't fix stupid. But if people are going to be stupid, and there's a fairly easy and cheap way to save everyone the hassle of a stupid person getting hit by a train, why not?

And I'm sure blind patrons would appreciate the announcements as well. Yes there are tactile warning strips, but having an active system as well couldn't hurt.
  by DutchRailnut

Cause at this time its better to thin the flock and take out the dumber species, it will improve human race.
enough of nanny state principle.