• Self defense and the RR

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by David Benton

torches over a certain lenght are now considered an offensive weapon here . i think 6 d cells . large heavy umbrellas seem to be carried by every private investigator / debt collector ive seen .
  by Gadfly

Desertdweller wrote:GF,

Well stated!
Was it a Star or a Handlan? Be sure it has a battery in it (for the weight).

I once worked with a conductor who was flagging a crossing at night while I shoved a cut of tank cars across it. Some idiot drove right around him, into my path. The conductor threw his lantern into the car's windshield. It got the driver's attention, all right.

Good improvised self-defense weapons in the cab: the fire extinguisher and the air hose wrench.

Les

Mine is a "Conger" lantern. It was the first railway lantern I used. I don't know what the conductor had; maybe the same mfr. It didn't occur to me to ask him. I'll have to dig out my plastic one to see who made it. These were labeled for "Southern Railway" and we used them extensively. I expect that old metal Conger + battery would lay someone out for fair, and the plastic one would do a decent job of it. Might break/crack it, tho!

GF
  by Arrestmespi

fusee's work really well too, or so I hear rumor in completely hypothetical situations around the district of columbia
  by Gadfly

Desertdweller wrote:GF,

Well stated!
Was it a Star or a Handlan? Be sure it has a battery in it (for the weight).

I once worked with a conductor who was flagging a crossing at night while I shoved a cut of tank cars across it. Some idiot drove right around him, into my path. The conductor threw his lantern into the car's windshield. It got the driver's attention, all right.

Good improvised self-defense weapons in the cab: the fire extinguisher and the air hose wrench.

Les
I felt like smackin' a couple myself! I was bookin' cars and checking refrigerators, etc, one night.
It was one of those damp, foggy nights with an eerie feel to it. They weren't supposed to leave boxcar doors open for several reasons, and one of them was to keep hobos from riding MTY's. I passed a Sou box car, shined my lantern up at the numbers when................

"HEY, BUDDY, YA GOT A LIGHT?"

I almost p***ed my pants! I must have jumped two feet! Man! Don't DO that!!!!!!! Luckily, this guy meant no harm, and he opologized for scaring the sh** outta me like that! Daggum him, I STILL ratted him out to the railroad cops! :)

GF