• Seeking info. on UPs hiring session

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Milwaukeeroad

I was wondering if anyone can give me a run down of the UPs hiring session for train service? I was asked to attend. I have a general idea of what the session will be like but I'm not to sure, so If there is anyone who has gone lately OR works for the UP I would really appreciate your in put. Anything will help.

Like I said I really appreciate it!

Milwaukeeroad
  by foundsheep

They first give you a run down on how life will be like, which when I went triggered some folks to leave. They then give a Twenty Question reading comprehension test. If you pass this you then Have to pass a physical agility test (strength test and sit-ups). If you pass that you get an interview. Then when the entire hiring session is over(here it lasted a week) they call those they are going to offer the job. after that you have to pass medical and background.

by Milwaukeeroad

Foundsheep:

Thanks for the info.
Wish me luck!

by foundsheep

GOOD LUCK! I just went through all of that and start class on April 5 th. I finally found out I passed the medical and Background through the Website.

by Milwaukeeroad

Foundsheep:
I have been checking the UPs web page to see if my status was updated, but I got a call from UPs hr dept. telling me I should come to a job interview. I then went to UPs web page to see if my info. was up dated and it wasn't, so as far as the Ups website I'm a bit puzzled. Anyway the most important thing is that I'm going to the info. session. What's the reading test like? Where are you hiring out of?
Goodluck to you as well!

by Pj

What's the exact physical fitness tests that are performed? I heard a grip test and situps, and poss others? Any details on that?
  by foundsheep

1. You stand on this box and pull up on a chain.
2. A hand grip thing that measures your hand strength
3. Sit-ups

Now depending how the first two come out will decide how many situps you need to pass. Or if your scores are low on the first two you better be able to do a lot of Sit-ups. It isnt that hard, Im a pretty chubby guy and I passed. :P