• Secaucus/Hoboken Fare Structure

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by andy

I know there are a few questions about this on the forums, but I didn't see this specifically answered.

1) First, my "home" station is Nanuet, on the Pascack Valley line. (No fare zones mentioned, because I know they do not correspond). The fare from Nanuet-Hoboken is $177.00 and Nanuet-NYP via SEC is $203.00. One way is $7.40 to NYP, $6.50 to HOB.

2) Suffern, on the Main/Bergan line is the line I like to take on Weekends and Holidays (simply because I don't like going across the river). The One way is $8.55 to NYP and $6.00 to HOB.

So my questions are:
a) If I purchase a Nanuet-HOB monthly ticket and board/depart at NYP via SEC, what is the step-up fare? I have been told many numbers, but it appears it should be $0.90. (One Way difference)

I asked about 3 conductors today, and after pulling out their fare schedules (both divisions) and some mental math, I got $2.75, $0.90 and $5.75 as the step-up fares.

b) Will my ticket be accepted for travel to/from Suffern and HOB/NYP, subject to step-up charges (any difference, including the different terminal AND extension-of-journey?)

c) If I get the Hoboken-Nanuet ($177 monthly) pass, am I correct in assuming that I can go on the NEC up to Rahway; and if I get the NYP-Nanuet ($203) that I can go through to Metuchen? (This is regardless of where I board, NYP or if I transfer from PVL at SEC).

Am I also correct in assuming that I can "extend" this journey to Trenton for an additional $3.00? (Difference between Nanuet-NYP and NYP-Trenton).

Lastly, can I step-up or change destinations with a Student Monthly?

Thanks for helping me figure this out!

by ajt

Your questions:

a. The Nanuet Change-In-Terminal fee for using a HOB ticket to NY is $0.90; the crewperson can find this printed on the Conductor's Fares chart for the Main/Bergen and Pascack Valley Lines under the column that reads 'Tml Fee'.

b. The policy is your ticket is accepted to/from the same terminal on another line up to the value you paid.

Nanuet-HOB monthly of $177 would be honored Suffern-HOB, where the fare is $155.

Nanuet-NY of $203 would be honored Allendale-NY, where the fare is $203; to ride from Suffern an Allendale-Suffern oneway fare of $1.30 would be charged.

c. The policy is your ticket is accepted to/from the same terminal on another line up to the value you paid.

Nanuet-HOB $177 would be accepted as far as South Amboy, Jersey Ave, and Bound Brook from HOB, where the HOB fare is less than $177. This would be on the Waterfront Connection trains from HOB, NOT via Secaucus Jct.

Nanuet-NY $203 would be accepted Woodbridge, Metuchen, Plainfield-NY.

The extension of journey to Trenton would be the oneway fare between the point your Nanuet ticket is good to, and Trenton. For the Nanuet-HOB ticket that would be Jersey Ave-Trenton $5.80. For Nanuet-NY that would be Metuchen-Trenton $6.10.

Change-In-Terminal is the difference in fares and applies to terminals; Extension Of Journey is additive fares for outlying points.

by andy

Sorry, one more question:

What exactly are the "waterfront" connection trains at HOB? I don't see any mention of it on the NJT website.

Thanks!
  by ryanov

There may still be a blue card schedule for the waterfront connection, but the trains used to be mentioned on the NEC and NJCL train schedules. Basically, it's the name given to the trains running to/from Bay Head that originate/terminate in Hoboken. You will find them on the NJCL schedule.

by F40

Speaking of the Waterfront, is the current service running at its full capacity? Were there originally two tracks planned for the Waterfront, and will they ever be constructed?

Btw, I haven't seen the blue schedules for the Waterfront lately. The only one I have is out of boundaries of the effective date.

by ajt

The Waterfront Connection trains are those which leave HOB and travel directly to Newark Penn. On the weekdays these are the Hob-Coast Line trains; on weekends it's every other Raritan Valley train.

by andy

Thanks :) I decided that I am going to get a monthly pass from Nanuet to New York Penn via. Secaucus, so I don't have to bother with the 90 cents. I got the paperwork for October processed at Hoboken for the Student Monthly.

I'll be riding on 1612 to New York Penn on Tue/Thr/Fri and 1606 to Hoboken the other days. On my way back, I'll be taking 1639 every day from Secaucus (with the suggested NEC connection), unless I happen to get out of school early.

Oh yeah, and any answer as to if Student Monthlies can have extension-of-journeys tacked on them? One of my friends live in Trenton and we do a lot of group work at each other's houses. Or do I to have to bite the bullet and puchase one-way tickets?

The one week trial really made me like transit, as I can study on the train, instead of getting car/bus sick if I tried there :)