• SD50 - Athearn or Proto

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Kevin B.

If there is already a thread about this I apologize, but I could not find one. I am going to be adding a couple of SD50s to my power line-up. I just wanted some opinions about which is better - Athearn's RTR, or Life Like's Proto 2000. I have seen both, but never side-by-side to compare. I will be MU these units with some Kato units that I already have, so getting the ones that will run best with the Katos is also a concern. Thanks for your input.

by CIOR

Kevin,
It all depends on what you want and need.
I have the P2K SD50, it looks good and runs top notch. I went with P2K for this unit because I need pullers on my layout.
I walked away from Athearn after their little SD70M and 75I debacle (warped trucks) besides the fact I wasn't happy with how they ran (for the price).

I prefer good silent runners, the SD50 that I heard ran like a can opener.

When it comes to looks and added detail, then Athearn wins it.

MU'ing them, if you have DCC it isn't an issue, my SD50 runs with a Kato SD40 and the Atlas GP40's and SD35's if I need it.

So
Looks- Athearn
Running- P2K
Pulling- P2K
MUing- Athearn
Noise- P2K
DCC- P2K

(those are my opinions on it)

by MR77100

I have a Conrail SD50 from Athearn RTR and it isn't a bad unit, although I wish Atlas would make SD50's in HO. The unit is the "giftwrapped" one painted for the Gulf War, so reason to add it to my collection. The unit, while not as loud as the original Athearn models, is louder than the P2K. I have been looking for P2K SD50's on Ebay for a long time now, without any luck. Overall, I would rate P2K better for the pulling power and noise reduction.