Railroad Forums 

• SD40E Rebuilds

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #753134  by atsf sp

They are nice engines. But its weird driving in Altoona seeing all of the Conrail paint SD50s that will soon be gutted and become SD40Es.
 #753169  by Kaback9

atsf sp wrote:They are nice engines. But its weird driving in Altoona seeing all of the Conrail paint SD50s that will soon be gutted and become SD40Es.

Most of those SD50's were just there for storage it seems as quite a few have been spotted out and running recently. Also it does not matter they would either get scrapped or a black paint of coat eventually so better they get reused.
 #777274  by MBTA1052

How many SD40E do NS have to overhaul???
 #777485  by NSDash9

NS has completed 22 SD40-E rebuilds thus far:

NS SD40-E Active Roster

Tentative plans are for NS to rebuild all of its remaining former Conrail SD50 locomotives as part of its SD40-E capital rebuild program. That includes 13 SD50's that have already been retired and the 23 that are still on the active roster:

NS SD50 Active Roster

Chris Toth
NSDash9.com
Also visit the NSDash9 facebook page
 #801517  by CR-SD50

Tadman wrote:You'll find them on helper duty at Altoona and I've seen them in other places as well. The SD40E rebuilds that look like brand new SD50's. Very attractive locomotive. Any other fans?
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 399&nseq=2

Yes, I'm a fan (the screen name was probably a hint)! Yes, I'd rather they were still in CR blue, but I also would rather see them out there running rather than getting scrapped. I'll have to seek them out next time I'm in PA (which isn't often).

Have/will they been running through the Allentown area? I have family in the area so that would be easy to fan over there.
 #801560  by Kaback9

I don't think you will be seeing any in the Allentown area unless one is kept on, as most of these units are in helper service. Thats not to say one or two will not venture out, it has happened before. I have a feeling as more are built then you will begin to see them all over the system though.
 #809912  by tomustang

Kaback9 wrote:I don't think you will be seeing any in the Allentown area unless one is kept on, as most of these units are in helper service. Thats not to say one or two will not venture out, it has happened before. I have a feeling as more are built then you will begin to see them all over the system though.
Just seen a pair running auto carriers on the lehigh line yesterday, I missed the photo since I was driving by but someone else got them coming through Easton

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2069040
 #809983  by Kaback9

tomustang wrote:
Kaback9 wrote:I don't think you will be seeing any in the Allentown area unless one is kept on, as most of these units are in helper service. Thats not to say one or two will not venture out, it has happened before. I have a feeling as more are built then you will begin to see them all over the system though.
Just seen a pair running auto carriers on the lehigh line yesterday, I missed the photo since I was driving by but someone else got them coming through Easton

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2069040
Roger there are enough now it seems where a few can escape. I saw them sitting in Croxton this afternoon.
 #813639  by Tadman

Hopefully I'll see a few around here one of these days, maybe banging around cars at the Ford yard by 130th. You can find about anything on autorack duty.
 #877011  by Roscoe P. Coaltrain

It would seem they are ideal for the helper assignments. Same as an SD40, engine-wise, but better, next generation dynamic brakes. Conrail should have done this modification a long time ago.
 #877014  by Roscoe P. Coaltrain

NSDash9 wrote:NS has completed 22 SD40-E rebuilds thus far:

NS SD40-E Active Roster

Tentative plans are for NS to rebuild all of its remaining former Conrail SD50 locomotives as part of its SD40-E capital rebuild program. That includes 13 SD50's that have already been retired and the 23 that are still on the active roster:

NS SD50 Active Roster

Chris Toth
NSDash9.com
Also visit the NSDash9 facebook page

Chris Toth, man, I SOOOOOO wish your roster pages actually kept dispositions of retired units, and not just listed the active units with number gaps in between.
 #877106  by jgallaway81

NS 6300-6330 are now out and about. In fact, its possible 31 & 32 might be out by now.
 #877233  by bluedash2

Roscoe P. Coaltrain wrote:It would seem they are ideal for the helper assignments. Same as an SD40, engine-wise, but better, next generation dynamic brakes. Conrail should have done this modification a long time ago.
Only problem is that CR was still using them as regular main line power back then along with the Dash 8's and SD60I/M's. Even the SD40's were still leading trains then too. NS is just keeping up with the times. The fact that the SD40's were still doing helper service all these years tell you how good they were.
 #915703  by atsf sp

I believe I just saw 6305 and 6304 on a light move with 3 other locos headed eastbound through The Southside of Pittsburgh. Not use to seeing them so far this way or even past Cresson for that matter.