• Scratchbuilding a Station Platform...

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Komachi

Hey, guys,

I've decided that I want to build a wooden platform for the passenger depot for my RF&L project layout. I think this will add some visual interest to the depot scene and dress up the station a little bit. In fact, I'm thinking I'm going to take a page out of the Winona (MN) depot's playbook and extend the platform through the yard lead, and up to the main. Something like this...

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews ... .image.jpg

Problem is, I'm trying to figure out what size lumber I need to do this...

I'm thinking 8x8s for the boards that will go between the rails, and probably 2x8s (or similar sized scribed sheet) for the platform surrounding the depot itself. My question is, however... what is the height of code 100 rail, from the bottom of the ties to the tops of the railheads? And, Midwest cork roadbed is 3/16th of an inch, right? So, what sized lumber would I need to use for the substructure of the platform, that will sit on the plywood subroadbed and raise the platform to the height of the railhead? .125 x .125???

Inquiring minds want to know!