• Sayre LV Station and LV U23B locomotive

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

by joshuahouse

When was that pedestrian bridge taken out? Its to bad that it isn't still there, because whenever I'm in Sayre i see people walking right across the tracks all the time. Not as dangerous as in Hornell, which has many more trains and worse sightlines but still very bad.

by scottychaos

Joshua,
the walkbridge came down in '87. :(
  by Lehighrrgreg

Friends,

I am pleased to report that the U23B fund has now reached $1000.00. Its a good milepost, but there is still a long way to go.

If you havent contributed and would like to, please see our website at
http://www.sayrehistorical.com and contribute through PayPal. You will still be accorded the same benefits of standard snail mail donors by receiving a confirmation letter as well as your name and desired memorial in a book associated with the locomotive project within the Sayre Museum.

Also, for anyone who is interested, we are now offering a periodic email newsletter sent out as appropriate regarding this and other projects. If you wish to receive this, please send a blank email to [email protected] and place "Newsletter" in the subject line.
For more details, see
http://www.sayrehistorical.com/WhatsHappening/

Thanks,
Greg
  by Lehighrrgreg

Friends,

Once again, I am here announcing more good news. The renovation teams are almost all set up and ready to go. Construction, rehabilitation and renovation on the exterior of the Sayre passenger station will begin the morning of the 14th of June!!!

To commemorate this long awaited event, the Sayre Historical Society is holding a History Fair on Saturday, June 19th in the Sayre Passenger Station from 1- 4pm with no admission. You will be able to get a glimpse of the building up close right as the transformation begins to take shape as well as see some of the treasures of the former Valley Railroad Museum's collection, recently returned to Sayre and other great things added to collection of Historical Society by the many outstanding supporters in the Sayre area. These will all be on display within the building. Many other folks will also have their personal historical collections on display, including myself.

This is your excuse to make the pilgrimage!

If you have any questions, please email me at [email protected]
or call 1 607 425 5744

Hope to see you there!

http://www.sayrehistorical.com

by arnstg

I just checked the Sayre Museum site and saw the funds for the U23B project is stuck at $1K. Most posts on this site seem to be for the station rebuild but not much for the loco.

Not being from the Sayre area, I thought there would be a greater interest in saving the loco than has been shown.

Am I wrong?
  by Lehighrrgreg

You are very right, good observation. The station project, along with the U23B project are two polarized topics. One can appreciate the U23B rescue if you arent from Sayre and our donation roster reflects that. Only two of the current donors that I have on file are from the immediate area, and they were the engineer and conductor of the locomotive. Donations for the station renovation has become a Sayre residency issue, and the majority of our donors are from Sayre.

The news on the U23B has plateaued and the discussion has lead to where more progress is made. We are just waiting for the unit's donor to notify us of its readiness for movement, which I dont forsee occuring within the near future as the donor of the locomotive runs a full scale operation and couldnt possibly devote his complete attention to this particular unit all the time.
We get contributions in the mail every now and then and those definitley help.

I expect, or at least..certainly hope donations may pick up as more fine details are laid down and the locomotive begins its trip north.
I certainly wish to thank everyone again for their continued interest.

Greg

by joshuahouse

I know that this is not directly about the Sayre Historical Society, but when and where is the NS display train supposed to tie up in Waverly? I recall seeing this anounced on Railpace (and it was a press release from NS so its got a good chance to be right)a few months ago, but I can't find any info on it. I think it is on this coming weekend (july 4th weekend)

Thanks for the help.
  by Lehighrrgreg

The NS car will be here from the 1st through the 5th. It will be located on the Fulton St. crossing in Waverly, close to the Leprino plant on a siding. It is getting here Wed. night and I will be working at it all day on Thursday. It will be here for the weekend as well. Email me for directions or further info.

Greg

by joshuahouse

I should be able to find it now that I have the street crossing. Really I just wanted to be sure that this was the right weekend.
  by gawlikfj

Great Pictures Scot !!
It will look alot better without those green doors.
If we could only turn back the clock to the 1960's and see the LV running again !!
  by Lehighrrgreg

Here is another update on the happenings in Sayre. (8/14/04)

Building:
PennDOT has committed $74,500 in enhancement money to help fund the renovation. After a tragic paperwork error on the part of the borough of Sayre, the progress is back on track. We are expecting something to happen as soon as next week.

Locomotive:

After a generous local donation, we secured some railroad ties, tie plates and spikes. There are still more needed, but we got a big jump.
If you would like to get our progress updates by email as the construction begins and the locomotive project progresses....email [email protected] and put "E-News" on the subject line.

Keep checking our website at www.sayrehistorical.com
[/img]
  by Lehighrrgreg

Work has been proceeding nicely at the Sayre station. Here are two photos of what is going on there.

by PRRGuy

Nice photos. As for those ties in the foreground..is that the location of where the U-boat is going to go, or possibly along the platform?

by scottychaos

woo hoo!!
looking good Greg!
nice to finally have that side entrance gone!

and TIES for the U-boat are in place!! :-D

are there any plans to re-build a fence?
the well-worn path across the tracks passes directly in front of where the engine is going to go..
of course, people just tear down fences if it blocks their favorite illegal shortcut..but still, a good sturdy chain-link fence might be worth considering..
and people might not cut through it, the bridge really isnt any more inconvenient than just crossing the tracks..

Scot
  by Lehighrrgreg

Good point Scot,

Actually I have been working with NS concerning the finance and installation of a sturdy fence. Railway safety is one of our biggest issues in that area and it parallels with the NS safety creed. The trespassing there is a big concern of theirs, as well as ours. It is a tremendous liability having people, often of questionable character crossing the lawn and tracks at all hours of the day. Not only for personal injury issues, but also vandalism. We have been lucky so far, however the NS building has not. Its also, as you can see...tearing a line through our lawn.

I had considered using our railcar and locomotive display as some sort of fencing, however these people dont care how they get through, they just get through. They even slide underneath active cars, climb over cars or walk over the couplers.
I even had some lady ask me as she was walking through the lawn the other day, why NS had "No Trespassing" signs by the tracks, I informed her that it was their property and a huge safety risk, and she rebutted "aint no trains gunna hit me, no way...ill sue" So you can imagine the mentality of some of the people.