Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by PlaneLoverA380

Hello everyone,

I have some questions about the sandite/alcohol M1s. Short story. I remember the first time I saw a sandite. Born in September, my house was right next to the OB branch. I remember seeing the M1 pumping that "pancake batter"! And I said, "I like that train. Flaps!" I was talking about the vents. Now for my questions.

1. I saw E591 with the front left door on the left side partially open. Somebody was sticking their head out the gap. What is the purpose of this? I would be terrified of other trains!

2. Vents, vents and more vents! :-D RFW, cab window, forward passenger window. Why so many vents? Do the solutions have to be temperature-controlled?

3. Will an M7 become a sandite or alcohol? Would break my heart to see that. :(

4. What about the E prefix? 9401 became E401, 9591 became E591. Wondered about that all my life.

Last question: Anyone have an inside photo?

Thanks,
PlaneLoverA380
  by nyandw

Photo: Mario Craig

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrmo ... hol%20Cars
Alcohol:
W84- MP54, ex LIRR 1691, Believe this was part of a restaurant in Water Mill. Disposition unknown - Scrapped?
W85- P74B, ex B&M 4590, in KO
W86- ex B&M, Scrapped in 2004

Sandite:
2907, P72, built Pullman Standard 1955, LIRR as a bar car and sandite car, at RMLI
2909, P72, built Pullman Standard 1955, in Morris Park

Alcohol/Sandite
E401, M1, currently used, ex 9401
E591, M1, currently used, ex 9591
9775, M3, In process of conversion to alcohol/Sandite car

"The LIRR currently uses two M-1 cars to "slime" the rails during falling leaf season. Modified M-1's 9401 & 9591 (now E-401-591) are utilized sandwiched between a pair of MP15's.They operate entirely at night and are serviced at Richmond Hill during the day.

There are also leaf crusher trains. These consist of two MP15's and gravel hoppers. They crush the leaves on the Oyster Bay , Pt. Jeff, Montauk, and Greenport branches. These trains are based at KO and Wellwood siding and operate at night."

Both sandites and leaf crushers have run on the branch simultaneously, and have been on the branch with both. Leaf crushers are operated on the branch to pulverize leaves that may be wedged in the circuits for the crossing gates. If leaves are not crushed, the potential for leaves to impede a circuit and crossing gates to stay up while a train goes through a crossing increases. All leaf crushers are run at the direction of the train dispatcher. Information courtesy: Ben Jankowski, Oyster Bay RR Museum
  by ConstanceR46

re: 4; Eventually, but you won't see it until the M1s crap themselves and any replacing M3s also crap themselves; trains in MOW service don't last forever.
  by PlaneLoverA380

Thanks, but what about the vents? I found the E prefix was for a passenger-converted work car.
  by Bad Luck

M7s are presently used for alcohol duty.
  by PlaneLoverA380

Bad Luck wrote:M7s are presently used for alcohol duty.
You mean the toilets? ๐Ÿ˜‘
  by BuddR32

The vents that are in place of the windows are in the F-End area. This is where the on-board generator is, it is partitioned off the rest of the car.

Not sure what the E in the car number is for.

The M3 cars are also utilizing a mate if you will, for the crew to ride in, its heat and lights powered from the equipment car.
  by newkirk

nyandw wrote: W84- MP54, ex LIRR 1691, Believe this was part of a restaurant in Water Mill. Disposition unknown - Scrapped?
Is this the "Ping" you're referring to ? (Both photos July 1991)
February 1980 - W84 ?
  by ConstanceR46

W84 was scrapped or MIA 2007? When the property was redeveloped, she got the boot.

(The uniqueness of arch-pings makes me really grateful for OBRM and their car.)
  by R36 Combine Coach

ConstanceR46 wrote:The uniqueness of arch-pings makes me really grateful for OBRM and their car.
Boonton, NJ had a long string of them (1927 P54D coaches) until scrapped in 2011. Purchased by a local developer for a rail themed retail outlet, but sat derelict for three decades.
  by newkirk

W-84 ?....Bay Ridge Branch scrap line. GT/E's behind "ping" (January 17, 1993)
Boonton, NJ (Both Photos February 1981)
  by ConstanceR46

Newkirk, any more scrapline pics? Those are interesting as heck!
  by newkirk

ConstanceR46 wrote:Newkirk, any more scrapline pics? Those are interesting as heck!
I have a couple more, when time permits.

Was that W-84 on the scrap line ?
  by ConstanceR46

Fits the bill; might've been pulled off for cheap?
  by PlaneLoverA380

And so the thread derails...

Like the first day of M1 service!