• Sale of Retired Locomotives

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by GP40MC 1116

Under NJ Transit's Procurement section of its website is lists a "Sale of Retired Locomotives" Curious if anyone has an idea on what type of locomotives are being sold, how many and what type
  by blockline4180

GP40MC 1116 wrote:Under NJ Transit's Procurement section of its website is lists a "Sale of Retired Locomotives" Curious if anyone has an idea on what type of locomotives are being sold, how many and what type
Most likely F40's, GP40FH's and some GP40PH's.
  by ns3010

Just to bring this back, offers are due this Friday 11/22.
  by R36 Combine Coach

As I've mentioned, the F40s would be at best, parts units from MBTA and Metra (major F40 users). Otherwise, scrap value.
  by ryanov

Aren't the F40' s the newest diesels NJT owns apart from the PL42's?
  by ns3010

The scrap award for the "Sale of Retired Locomotives" has been to C&K Scrap Metal of Newark for $264,600. No further information available at this time.
  by BigDell

MANUFACTURER: EMD
YEAR BUILT: 0
ROAD NUMBER: 4141
LOW OR HIGH NOSE: LOW
ENGINE MODEL: 16-645E3
HORSE POWER:
GENERATOR: AR10
AUXILIARY GENERATOR: 18kw
AIR COMPRESSOR:
DYNAMIC BRAKING: NO
AIR BRAKE TYPE: 26L
TRACTION MOTORS: Rebuilt D77
WHEEL TREAD THICKNESS:
MULTIPLE UNIT: NO
ELECTRICAL CABINETS:
EXTENDED RANGE: NO
DITCH LIGHTS: YES
I should bid on 4141 and restore it to .... Morrison Knudsen colors? Wait - that's for the nonsense thread. But - it's interesting to see there are a bunch for sale! I wonder who/if they will be picked up/leased? I'll be curious to see if and where these end up.....
  by james1787

BigDell wrote: I should bid on 4141 and restore it to .... Morrison Knudsen colors? Wait - that's for the nonsense thread. But - it's interesting to see there are a bunch for sale! I wonder who/if they will be picked up/leased? I'll be curious to see if and where these end up.....
I wonder if I could bid on one to use one as one heck of a backup generator for the house.. just park it in the driveway? :-D

That's probably another post for the nonsense thread..

I would think there would be plenty of interest if they're in good shape?
  by Ken W2KB

james1787 wrote:
BigDell wrote: I should bid on 4141 and restore it to .... Morrison Knudsen colors? Wait - that's for the nonsense thread. But - it's interesting to see there are a bunch for sale! I wonder who/if they will be picked up/leased? I'll be curious to see if and where these end up.....
I wonder if I could bid on one to use one as one heck of a backup generator for the house.. just park it in the driveway? :-D

That's probably another post for the nonsense thread..

I would think there would be plenty of interest if they're in good shape?
Back some 15 years or so ago after a severe ice storm with massive electric transmission damage in Canada at least one engine was driven a 1,000 feet or so down a city street to the government building for power. If it started to turn the lead truck was pushed with a backhoe or similar if I recall correctly, to get it going correctly.
  by DutchRailnut

here is picture of event http://cnlines.ca/CNcyclopedia/loco/mlw/img_3502.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by kilroy

The Reading T-1's saw service as portable steam genreators after being retired from the active roster so it'really nothing new.
  by nick11a

DutchRailnut wrote:here is picture of event http://cnlines.ca/CNcyclopedia/loco/mlw/img_3502.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cool. I had forgotten about that. Thanks for jogging the memory.