• Safety vs noise

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Cosmo

....MIT....in the 80's...
Did you ever hang out at TMRC?

by CSX Conductor

boston774 wrote: Out of curiosity, is this the line that was under discussion to link NEC service to North Station?
No, it was supposed to be alongside the I-93 tunnels.

by darksun23c

Linking through that line would involve way too much schedule disruption. Consider an Amtrak Regional trying to go from Providence to Portland. It would have to go to South Station, go down the Worchester Line, over the bridge and this branch through Cambridge, back down the Fitchburg CR, stop at North Station and then continue to Portland.

Not the most efficient route possible. :-D

by octr202

darksun23c wrote:Linking through that line would involve way too much schedule disruption. Consider an Amtrak Regional trying to go from Providence to Portland. It would have to go to South Station, go down the Worchester Line, over the bridge and this branch through Cambridge, back down the Fitchburg CR, stop at North Station and then continue to Portland.

Don't worry about it...there seems to be no end to the railfan fascination with seeing passenger service on the Grand Junction, never mind the fact that its not a convenient, fast way to and from places where passengers will want to go in large enough numbers. But the debate continutes...

by CSX Conductor

darksun23c wrote:Linking through that line would involve way too much schedule disruption. Consider an Amtrak Regional trying to go from Providence to Portland. It would have to go to South Station, go down the Worchester Line, over the bridge and this branch through Cambridge, back down the Fitchburg CR, stop at North Station and then continue to Portland.

To cut down time you could run it from RTE128 down the Dorchester Branch, by-pass South Station using the Wye Connector, stop @ Back Bay on it's way to CP-3. At Beacon Park change ends and the go over the Grand Jct to CP Swift and send it up the Haverhill Line by running behind B.E.T. and by-passing North Station and Anderson RTC. LOL :P

by darksun23c

Stupid question, but what does the Wye Connector connect? I'm not familiar with it.

by CSX Conductor

Track #1 @ Broad interlocking on the Dorchester Branch over the Fort Point Channel to Track #2 on the NEC at Cove Interlocking. It is out of service now due to overhead construction during the overnight. (Has been O.O.S. since March.) :wink:

PS, no such thing as a stupid question.

by Silverliner II

octr202 wrote:...although I almost witnessed a woman become a pancake under a bus this morning at Kendall as she ran in front of it as it pulled away to try to read the destination sign......
Sounds like a Darwin Award is in order for her. I see that "almost" happen here in Philly a lot...people running up from behind a bus, to run out in front to see the sign...

....and in the process, they fly right past the SIDE destination sign located right behind the front door, which gives the same information....

...and at times it's on a route with only one destination, and it's the only route serving that stop.....

*sigh* Survival of the smartest....

by octr202

Silverliner II wrote:
octr202 wrote:...although I almost witnessed a woman become a pancake under a bus this morning at Kendall as she ran in front of it as it pulled away to try to read the destination sign......
Sounds like a Darwin Award is in order for her. I see that "almost" happen here in Philly a lot...people running up from behind a bus, to run out in front to see the sign...

....and in the process, they fly right past the SIDE destination sign located right behind the front door, which gives the same information....

...and at times it's on a route with only one destination, and it's the only route serving that stop.....

*sigh* Survival of the smartest....
A SEPTA train at Ambler,PA on the R5 still tops my award for best conductor response to a Darwin Awards situation (that I've seen). Guy ran across the ped crossign at the station to reach the inbound platform right in front of a pair of Silverliners. Engineer dumped it as he did it. There was one person getting off, and no one else getting on, so the conductor yells "You're not getting on my train" to him, closed the trap down and shut the door while she waited for the engineer to recover the air, and just watched him out the window as he fumed on the platform.

My guess is he had to wait at least a half hour for the next train. :-D

by CSX Conductor

octr202 wrote:A SEPTA train at Ambler,PA on the R5 still tops my award for best conductor response to a Darwin Awards situation (that I've seen). Guy ran across the ped crossign at the station to reach the inbound platform right in front of a pair of Silverliners. Engineer dumped it as he did it. There was one person getting off, and no one else getting on, so the conductor yells "You're not getting on my train" to him, closed the trap down and shut the door while she waited for the engineer to recover the air, and just watched him out the window as he fumed on the platform.

My guess is he had to wait at least a half hour for the next train. :-D
He should get a day's pay for that....hopefully the conductor teach that idiot a lesson. lol :P