• RR workwear: Discussed here!

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by woodsie

Anything from Carhartt; bibs, coats, will last and last.
  by scooterz66

I second the carhartt, also might want to check out Duluth Trading www.duluthtrading.com
  by GSC

Sears has a line of work clothes that are the same duck material as Carhartt and they're pretty good. I have two sets of coveralls that have lasted for years.

There is a company out now that sells duck jackets and coats with reflective yellow striping already on them so you don't have to wear that pain-in-the-neck vest over the coat. The power company around here has them, have to look online to see who sells them.

As far as plain old work jeans, I prefer plain old generic Wranglers, they've always lasted longer than other brands for me.
  by ex Budd man

For Pete's sake DON'T get striped bib-alls and red bandanas unless you want to be hooted at by your co-workers! :P Let the foamers play dress-up, :wink: just dress for a dirty job and to suit the weather and you'll be fine. Sears offers a 'chore coat' in denim which comes lined or unlined in their work wear catalogue and if you must wear a hard hat liners are available to keep your brain from freezing. :(
  by GSC

The Sears denim chore coats are great, wear like iron, and go well with Scotch-Guard to waterproof them. Another plus is lots of deep pockets to carry stuff.

Careful with red bandannas, especially in "rough" areas where the prominent bandanna color is blue.

Military-style wool helmet liners are great for keeping your noggin warm.
  by hopestyle77

Thanks for the suggestions
  by scharnhorst

woodsie wrote:Anything from Carhartt; bibs, coats, will last and last.
I used to hit the Army--Navy Store for a lot of stuff to keep warm.
  by bamasam

I have tried many different types of boots. I started out with West Coast lineman's boots as I was an electrical lineman before my conductors job with the RR. But the best and most comfortable boots to date have been a pair of 6 inch Ariat riding boots I bought from Tractor Supply last year. They have the defined heel that is required and no steel toe. They are light as a feather and hold up very well. I paid about 90 bucks for them and will definitely get more when these wear out.
  by Gadfly

ex Budd man wrote:For Pete's sake DON'T get striped bib-alls and red bandanas unless you want to be hooted at by your co-workers! :P Let the foamers play dress-up, :wink: just dress for a dirty job and to suit the weather and you'll be fine. Sears offers a 'chore coat' in denim which comes lined or unlined in their work wear catalogue and if you must wear a hard hat liners are available to keep your brain from freezing. :(
I was thinking the same thing! :-D NO self-respecting REAL railroader would be caught DEAD wearing that sh--!
Forget the striped "railroad" caps, too. Dungarees and denims, Red Camels, khakis (summer)----ALL the usual industrial workwear is fine, That OTHER stuff is sure to get you mocked slam off the right of way! :-D

Gadfly
  by GN 599

I would sure like to know where to get a hickory striped chore coat. Not a thick one but like a flannel.
  by scharnhorst

GN 599 wrote:I would sure like to know where to get a hickory striped chore coat. Not a thick one but like a flannel.
Try some of the loacal farm supply stores they seem to carry some odds and ends in the line of clothng. Tractor Supply comes to mind as one of the stores where i have seen what your looking for too.
  by UP1995

THE BEST GRIP! check it out at http://www.redoxx.com/product_categorie ... lroad-grip it's not cheap but it will last and it comes with a lifetime warranty. Has all kinds of room in it. I keep all my shit in this one bag. Rule books, log book, timetables, lantern, radio, rain gear, over night clothes, shaving kit, food for the trip. This bag is really nice and worth the money!
  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

I want to know if the original new hire on thes thread is still working. You guys put alot into this subject! Wow! I worked the road almost exclusivly in the good old Conrail days,and NEVER filled the standard CR yellow grip unless the weather was really bad.
  by 142locoman

Wow, it's great to see so many here with such positive feedback! If it weren't for people like us that play the important part of keeping traditional railroading alive, then just maybe people in general wouldn't respect the craft the way they do. I'm part of a tourist steam railway, and I'm very proud to wear my Carhart bibs, my striped shirts and hats, my Cat 9" boots and my pant legs bloused over them, my pocket watch, the rag that hangs out of my back pocket, and my firing gloves. I'll even go as far as wearing an old style goggle with slightly shaded lenses, and a brass bar which tells you what person I am in the engine pinned to my hat. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, however I think that people here could be a little more positive so as to not offend the people keeping it " ALIVE "!!! :wink:
  by scharnhorst

142locoman wrote:Wow, it's great to see so many here with such positive feedback! If it weren't for people like us that play the important part of keeping traditional railroading alive, then just maybe people in general wouldn't respect the craft the way they do. I'm part of a tourist steam railway, and I'm very proud to wear my Carhart bibs, my striped shirts and hats, my Cat 9" boots and my pant legs bloused over them, my pocket watch, the rag that hangs out of my back pocket, and my firing gloves. I'll even go as far as wearing an old style goggle with slightly shaded lenses, and a brass bar which tells you what person I am in the engine pinned to my hat. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, however I think that people here could be a little more positive so as to not offend the people keeping it " ALIVE "!!! :wink:
I see nothing wrong with going with the traditional look of railroading and its yesteryear uniforms. Besides most children would spot a locomotive engineer dressed the way do when working at a musuem. I think the folklore and pictures in many childrens books gives them that little extra touch of what a locomotive engineer or conductor would dress in.