• Routes where Amtrak frequencies/speeds exceed 1951?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by jobtraklite

In the early 50's I distinctly remember a GM&O bill board in St. Louis that advertised 5 trains daily between St. Louis and Chicago, the same as today.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Actually, Mr. Jobtrak, the Amtrak "five a day" is far more useful to a traveler than was GM&O's. One of the latter was a Mail train needing eight some hours for the journey, the other was the Midnight Special.

Now I realize there are many here who hold that the overnight train with Sleepers should have a market, but obviously many a passenger train operator holds otherwise.
  by ExCon90

neroden wrote:Thanks for the very interesting data.

So California really didn't have many trains back in the 40s and 50s, and is at record highs. Particularly interesting. I suppose this is partly related to the massive increases in California population.
That and the fact that there was zero public support for rail service in the 40s and 50s. SP and ATSF had to bear all costs associated with passenger service (as did Pacific Electric, NWP, and Key System where suburban rail service existed).
  by ExCon90

Mr. Weaver makes an interesting point regarding service in New England that is not reflected in raw numbers. If you can find a New Haven schedule from the 50s, try getting from Philadelphia to Mystic (admittedly not the tourist destination in the 50s that it is today, but today there are 3 or 4 convenient departures, depending on the day of the week, offering one-seat rides from early morning till the end of the business day). Service in the 50s was local and oriented around New Haven (and the NH undoubtedly would have liked to eliminate that, given the total absence of public support for passenger rail at the time). Wilmington to Stamford is virtually hourly; before Amtrak, except for the Colonial, Senator, and Patriot, it was a 4-seat ride, provided there were seats on the 7th Ave. and the Grand Central Shuttle.
  by Pacific 2-3-1

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Actually, Mr. Jobtrak, the Amtrak "five a day" is far more useful to a traveler than was GM&O's. One of the latter was a Mail train needing eight some hours for the journey, the other was the Midnight Special.

Now I realize there are many here who hold that the overnight train with Sleepers should have a market, but obviously many a passenger train operator holds otherwise.
A good project for any Prairie State railfan groups out there would be restoring the second track. I imagine it could be accomplished in a few weekends.
  by Gilbert B Norman

If such were done, albeit by a recognized contractor - much as they would rant, i don't think the BMWE could make a case for that work done by railroad forces, then I for one would believe the Illinois rail passenger initiiative is for real.
  by Noel Weaver

wilwel1024 wrote:
jp1822 wrote:
Matt Johnson wrote:I'm guessing Philly - Harrisburg might be one.
Hmmm.....Philly to Harrisburg would be interesting, as I know Harrisburg served a lot of long distance trains. Whether they all allowed "receive" and "discharge" passengers in between would be of interest. Then I think there may have been some commuter trains serving various sections - similiar to SEPTA but perhaps even farther to Harrisburg itself. Then were there Philly to Pittsburgh trains in more frequency?

This would be a curious one for me. Obviously the PRR electrified to Harrisburg and made the engine change there for the number of frequencies and "speed" through the Northeast "zones" if you will. But again, whether they allowed "R" and "D" is questionable, compared to frequencies and speed of today's Keystone. I also think today's Keystone from Philly to Harrisburg is finally comparable to the PRR days. It had been dragging, or lagging, behind!

What about NYP to the Albany area? I'd be curious about that one too. Could the NYC outperform Amtrak on this corridor in speed and frequency?
Keep in mind that today's Albany station is in Renssalaer, while in 1951 the stop was downtown. The railroad mileage to the old station would probably have been slightly further, and it involved some sharp curves and a bridge. However, today a traveller must transfer to a bus or cab for a ride to downtown Albany. I'm not sure how it would all come out in the wash, if you could wash apples and oranges together.
The location of the station in the Albany area today is far better than when it was on Broadway in Albany. The passengers using that line today in and out of Albany are for the most
part not headed for downtown Albany but are headed for the suburbs and even parts of Massachusetts and Vermont. The present station is new, attractive and very pleasant to
use. It also has ample parking which Albany did not have. Ridership on this run out of Albany would not have been possible if they were still using the old station in Albany.
Noel Weaver