• Route 15 Traffic Control System

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by jfrey40535

For however much money was spent in upgrading the traffic signals along Girard Avenue to allow better flow of the trolleys, I have not noticed any improvement to the way the traffic signals behave with the transponders on the PCC's that are supposed to manipulate the traffic signals. According to SEPTA, the system is supposed to work automatically since the vehicles have transponders on them by delaying/extending signals. Here is the info I received from SEPTA:
The PCC 2 cars are equipped with transponders that will delay or extend certain traffic signal phases along Girard Avenue. During the first days of service, the system was down and non-operational. It should now be on line. However, it is automatic and the operators do not manually intervene. Also note, the system does not "preempt" nor does it automatically change a red traffic signal to green.

Thank You,
SEPTA Customer Service
If that's the best we can do with the "transit first" concept, we just bought ourselves a last place seat.

by PARailWiz

While cleaning out the remains of the former occupant of my desk at my new co-op, i actually came across the plans for the signal upgrades on Girard Avenue. The trolley's preemption ability was part of a larger upgrade to allow emergency vehicles complete pre-emption ability, and at the same time give trolley's "low-priority" pre-emption. That was all I could glean from them as far as their usefulness.

by jfrey40535

I don't understand why if money was spent on them that they couldn't function like the lights in the burbs used by law enforcement and paramedics. At least this way, at intersections with stops but no stop requests or pickups, you could hold the light and breeze on by. I have not noticed much benefit from the current system, if it even works at all.

IF there are automatic transponders on the PCC's, why the flahsing lamps them? I never see them used!

Not that it matters much, every time I turn around I see more buses out than trolley cars. I'm convinced this whole thing was a sham.