• Route 15: 2 Month Report Card

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by jfrey40535

I thought it might be a good discussion with riders and railfans to review the progress of the Route 15 trolley as we approach the second month since trolley service was restored. I have some positive and negative observations:

Positive
1. The trolleys do make nice eye candy.

2. Trolleys are much quieter than buses (yes we knew this already)

3. To some extent, the trolleys have already generated more foot traffic along Richmond Street. Hopefully new business too (work in progress).

4. The pothole hitting Neoplans are gone! The ride is smoother, but not quite as good as the subway surface lines. Its still not a bus ++++

5. Trolleys don't have the chronic problem of running 5-10 minutes ahead of schedule at 1am like the buses did, so if your transferring from the MFO/BSO you can expect the trolley will be there "on or close to schedule".

6. A good number of operators are becoming trolley speed demons. The good ones know when to floor it, and even watch the traffic lights to know if they should slow down, coast or floor it.

Negative
1. The PCC "II's" are junk, or Brookville may have at least done a poor job in rebuilding the cars. Some cars have chronic problems with the line pole coming off at certain areas, regardless of how fast you are moving. Other cars work flawlessly. I'm not sure if this is an indication of poor overhead quality, or a bad line pole on the car. I've ridden the subway surface many times, and I've never seen a pole come off on those lines (except when a kid pulls it off).

The cars have only been in service 2 months, and I have observed several with broken speedometers. The speedometer is electric, not mechanical. Often you can observe on some cars the speedometer fluxuating between 0 and 60 while at a full stop.

The front doors and motors have problems closing properly. I observed one car where door #2 front would not close because the door became separated from the closing mechanism. The car was subsequently taken out of service. On most cars, door #2 does not fully closer where there is a 1" gap between the 2 door sets.

2. SEPTA's last minute track work was done very poorly. You can feel every spot on the line where a segment of track was replaced, which was done one week prior to service resumption. You can also notice the difference between the new and old track along the line. The new track is much quieter and smoother. The noisiest rail is along the Schyulkill River bridge.

3. The trolley has not made any friends with daily riders. Two months into this, and all you hear is complaints---still. Despite the fact that some of the kinks have smoothed over, many people are unhappy with the trolley. You hear complaints on both sides of the line.

4. Residents on Girard between Lancaster-63rd Street are extremely upset with SEPTA's decision to eliminate stops along that section of the line. I don't understand why stops were eliminated there, as it is a 2 lane road similar to Richmond Street. Some are claiming "hidden racism" as no stops were eliminated in Port Richmond, but many were in "Haddington".

5. The line is subject to many delays still, mostly due to cars parked too close to the tracks and wheelchairs. It still takes on average 12 minutes to load a wheelchair.

6. There are still a handful of operators who are scared of driving the trolley. Some operators know when to go full speed, and actually run ahead of schedule. The slow ones don't go over 20mph. Very aggrevating.

7. The PCC's seem much louder than the K cars. Maybe this is because the wheels are still being broken in?

8. One of the PCC's (forgive me for not documenting which one) has 1/4 of its "Art Deco" lights burned out. Hard to believe that a car that is 2 months in revenue service could look so gloomy from the inside. For that matter in the 21st Century, doesen't SEPTA (who probablly spec'd things out) or Brookville know that they now have halogen or florescent type bulbs that they could have used in the light fixtures?

9. The PCC's don't seem to be washed on the exterior on a regular basis. Some are clean, some have lots of grime on them. They definitely don't look as clean as the buses do, which are washed reguarly if you visit any depot where the bus washer is always in motion. From what I've been told, the PCC's are hand washed since they don't have access to the vehicle washing bay as the track to that bay was conveniently paved over.

Unfortunately, as a commuter, I almost have to say the buses were better. We can all say SEPTA did this intentionally, but to some extent I think the bugs that remain are just growing pains. I'm hoping by January, when the next pick starts, that the current operators who are scared of driving the trolley will go drive a bus on some route somewhere, and that some of the veteran, seasoned route 10 operators will come over to the 15. Very few operators are fond of driving the trolley. I know one who hates it so much he's transferring out of Callowhill after many years of service there.

As for the mechanical problems with the cars, hopefully SEPTA will deal with these issues accordingly. Unfortunately the warranty expiration does not help. Would be nice if Brookville would grant an extention since the cars sat for a year. I know the doors will be an issue.

I'm getting conflicting stories about the traffic light system along Girard. SEPTA tells me there are transponders on the cars that extend the lights when the trolley is within 100 feet of the signal, by 10 seconds.

An operator told me the other night that they can "request a change" of the light with the green button on their dashboard, which flashes the light on the trolley right above the signboard. The operator told me it doesent work on some cars, and that supervisors told them not to worry about using it. Who's right?

Overall, my grade for the 15 is D+. Much room for improvement
Last edited by jfrey40535 on Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by jsc

so i'm driving up Girard ave today, right in front of a trolley, and I'm going to turn left onto bellmont. "cool," i think, "the light will stay green longer b/c of the trolley!" wrong. I got thru, but the trolley got the red and had to wait.

what was the point of the "transit first" system again?

by jfrey40535

This is what SEPTA officialy told me about the "Transit First" system on Girard Ave:
The system utilizes a low priority preferential program for transit. There are 31 intersections along the line that are equipped to recognize a trolley when it is about 200 feet from an intersection. The computer will then extend an existing green phase by ten seconds. It does not preempt any red lights as you suggest. Nor does it hold a green phase beyond the ten second window, no matter how close the trolley may be to the next car stop. The system does not recognize passengers waiting to board (or an empty island platform). The technology is now working as designed, although this is not always obvious to the average rider. SEPTA staff periodically audits it's performance and advises the City. The system is designed, owned and
maintained by the City Streets Department. The interface equipment on the trolleys are owned by SEPTA. As noted previously, operators have no direct role in the system's use as it is completely automatic.

by PARailWiz

On the way home today, I saw from the railroad bridge 3 trollies facing west, one right behind the other, 2 of them very close together, and a line of people waiting on the island. Anyone know if anything bad was happening or just an extreme example of wheelchair delay?

by jfrey40535

That IS what happens when a wheelchair is on the line.

by SEPTALRV9072

jfrey40535 wrote:This is what SEPTA officialy told me about the "Transit First" system on Girard Ave:
The system utilizes a low priority preferential program for transit. There are 31 intersections along the line that are equipped to recognize a trolley when it is about 200 feet from an intersection. The computer will then extend an existing green phase by ten seconds. It does not preempt any red lights as you suggest. Nor does it hold a green phase beyond the ten second window, no matter how close the trolley may be to the next car stop. The system does not recognize passengers waiting to board (or an empty island platform). The technology is now working as designed, although this is not always obvious to the average rider. SEPTA staff periodically audits it's performance and advises the City. The system is designed, owned and
maintained by the City Streets Department. The interface equipment on the trolleys are owned by SEPTA. As noted previously, operators have no direct role in the system's use as it is completely automatic.
Well I'm gonna refute that pile of caca right now. First off on the dash panel to the right of the indicator lights, is a push button switch labeled "SIGNAL REQUEST" as pictured here:

Now not only is this thing to be actuated by the operator, the damned thing actually does what it's marked to do, request a friggin green light. I was riding the line today and the operator I rode with actually used the device and got lights from 33rd St to Lancaster. You can tell they weren't just regular scheduled lights because quite a few of them turned green after being red for all of like 5 secs.

Overall I think this signal thing is a result of lazy operators more than anything else.

by jfrey40535

So why is SEPTA lying to me about how the system works? Every operator I talked to told me that's how the system works. They didnt say why they weren't using it though.

I'm wondering if they instructed operators not to use the system to keep things moving "nice and slow" to aggrevate already annoyed Route 15 regulars. I'm convinced someone in the organization is making sure it doesen't run right so next time someone suggests building a trolley line that politicians and riders say "No thanks, we like the bus"

by SEPTALRV9072

I say we forward this thread to SEPTA and see what they say.

by RDL 879

I'd hate to see this fail. I rode the line in September between Broad Street and the Zoo, and spent some time near the Zoo and the bridge taking photos. While this trip could hardly be considered representative of the day-to-day operation, it appeared that the service had re-established itself-one could be excused for not knowing that trolley service had been suspended for more than a decade. The operators were professional and polite, and did an impressive job given the challenges of street running. I saw buses on only one occasion. The cars rode well and were comfortable. OK, so I got caught up in the clanging bells and sleek appearance of the PCCs, but it would not be too hard to imagine a similiar operation on the 23 if the will were there. I spent some time in Center City, and the sight of the 23 tracks reminded me of the cities that are working so hard to bring back even heritage service. At least Philly has the infrastructure in place. May it survive for better days.

by jfrey40535

The operators were professional and polite,
I'm sure they did it grudgingly. I complimented one guy who actually went over the speed limit, and all I got was a grunt out of him. Maybe he was speeding just because he "had to go".

Biggest problems I see with this being the last buck in trolley revival in Philly are:

SEPTA hates it
Operators hate it (most love driving buses)
Commuters haet it.
SEPTA is not running it according to plan (stay tuned for this one i.e. traffic control system)

Sorry to say, but in some respects bus technology has surpased what trolleys can offer us. They are getting quieter (try the new 8000 series New Flyers) and they are superior in manuverability. Some of the 15's problems would go away if we had modern equipment (I'd still love to see a carbuilder design a modern, low floor PCC-III).

The only way we will get another trolley (are we being greedy?) is for the city to again force SEPTA's hand.

On a interesting note, I see PATCO has plans for running a trolley on Delaware Avenue. One of the options is for connecting to and extending the current subway surface tunnel. Its sad that it would take PATCO and not SEPTA to get a new trolley in town. Delaware Ave could definitely use a trolley service. The 25 just doesen't cut it.

by kevikens

Tell me more about the trolley that might be rebuilt along Delaware Ave. Where would it go to and from ? Who would operate it ? A light rail line a la NJT or trolley as in Septa ?

by Jersey_Mike

Sorry to say, but in some respects bus technology has surpased what trolleys can offer us. They are getting quieter (try the new 8000 series New Flyers) and they are superior in manuverability. Some of the 15's problems would go away if we had modern equipment (I'd still love to see a carbuilder design a modern, low floor PCC-III).
The only problem with Busses is that anyone that can avoid riding them, does so. As someone once said, "The bus, chariot of the masses, where the poor and very poor alike ride together in harmony."

by jfrey40535

The only problem with Busses is that anyone that can avoid riding them, does so. As someone once said, "The bus, chariot of the masses, where the poor and very poor alike ride together in harmony."
Quite true, but I don't exactly see the "well-off" in Port Richmond/Fishtown riding it. Still the same faces. The only change is the occasional railfan/foamer groupies getting on. Hopefully, in time, that will change.

by #5 - Dyre Ave

I think the line's going through some growing pains too. I mean, it's been just under two months since the trolleys started running again, so we should give it more time. But I hope it doesn't fail. Then again, SEPTA's track record on rail projects is not that good and I wouldn't be surprised if someone's setting the Girard project up to fail. I mean, they don't even show the line on the rail system map or provide an individual rail line map for it on their web site like they do with the other city rail lines. They market the line as if it's still running with buses.

by jfrey40535

In their eyes its a bus route currently substituted with trolleys