Railroad Forums 

• Roundhouses in New England

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1049671  by citystation1848

Just updating my NH roundhouses list from March 2012. Sadly, it takes a fire to discover a remaining railroad building. The remaining two stalls of the Lakeport roundhouse burned this past weekend.

Matt

Bartlett - Preservation
Dover - Commercial/Retail
Keene - Commercial/Retail
Lakeport (Laconia) - Commercial (2 stalls remaining)(burned May 2012)
Nashua - Commercial (1 stall and machine shop remaining)
North Conway - Railroad
North Walpole - Railroad
Portsmouth - Abandoned
Westboro (Lebanon) - ???
 #1055596  by rrr

there is also a two stall shed in fernald nh. I did not know it was there until just last weekend when I went on the trail there.
-russ
 #1056082  by rrr

is the watervill rh accessable to the public at all?-I would think not. I ask only because I am going to be in the area soon.
-russ
 #1056210  by b&m 1566

There is a round house off of Railroad St., in East Boston/Revere (not sure where the city line is).
 #1056462  by MEC407

rrr wrote:is the watervill rh accessable to the public at all?-I would think not. I ask only because I am going to be in the area soon.
Waterville, Maine? No, that's an active railroad shop and not open to the public.
 #1056474  by Cosmo

Try asking permission at the yard office, Worst they can do is say no.
 #1056535  by MEC407

Well, technically they don't even want you anywhere near the yard office unless you're there on official business. You have to drive past quite a few No Trespassing signs to get to the yard office. Personally I wouldn't recommend it unless you know someone who works there and can get permission ahead of time.
 #1056561  by Cosmo

Things may have changed in more recent years, but I never had a problem going up there and asking.
Wat I most certainly do NOT recommend is attempting to SNEAK over there.
 #1056595  by steamer69

Both Cosmo and MEC are right. It really depends who is around, and who is on duty. Some of the guys will take you over to look and some will just yell at you while they point at the "no trespass" signs. Thing to remember is that on your way to the yard office, you pass a no trespass sign. Some guys think that's all that needs be said. Better off just not to try your luck. Some guys just don't like foamers.......
 #1057065  by rrr

cool-thanks for that.--Hey is there anything left at all of the danville maine roundhouse.
 #1059095  by peteinmaine

MEC407 wrote:
rrr wrote:is the watervill rh accessable to the public at all?-I would think not. I ask only because I am going to be in the area soon.
Waterville, Maine? No, that's an active railroad shop and not open to the public.

However, if one is real nice to the train people, one CAN gain access for pics! [Success]
 #1059101  by peteinmaine

rrr wrote:cool-thanks for that.--Hey is there anything left at all of the danville maine roundhouse.
Done a quick search & came up empty. Help, help, anyone have info on the danville maine roundhouse?? I am interested. :-)
 #1059223  by MEC407

As far as I know, there never was a roundhouse there. I may be wrong but I've never heard of one, and certain haven't seen any remains of one.

That question was also asked here: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=126&t=69296&start=15#p1057064
 #1059272  by rrr

I am updating my new england rh list so
I looked for the lawrence mass roundhouse on bing and found only what looks like a single stall remaining on route 28
near canal st and the railroad. Unfortunately it does not appear to be what is mentioned in the "remaining turntables of new england" thread. So I suppose I am asking if it is a rh or not.
-Russ