• Rondout Bridge on the West Shore line

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by scrag104

Hello fellow NYC enthusiasts,

I am looking to recreate the Bridge that extends over Rondout Creek in Kingston, NY. I have pictures of the bridge but what I'm missing is the dimensions of it, I'm especially looking for the length of the Pratt style bridge in the middle. Any help you can spare or websites you could point me to would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Scott
  by ChiefTroll

Bridge 86.57 (Old NYC Number 114) over Rondout Creek was built as a double track bridge in 1905, replacing an earlier (1882 +/-) iron trestle. Track 1 (the east track) has been removed.

The deck girder spans on the south and north approaches are 70 foot spans. The deck riveted truss is a 142 foot span, and the thru pin-connected truss north of it is a 270 foot span.

An existing Phoenix truss on the former Mahopac Branch of the Harlem Division, near Lincolndale, was part of the original Bridge 114. It was moved to Lincolndale when the present bridge was built. It was narrowed from double track to single track width, and remained in service for the rest of the life of the Mahopac Branch. I have been informed that it is still in place.

by CHomko

Hey Scrag,

I was curious if you were scratch modeling the bridge or are you computer modeling it?

by scrag104

CHomko,

I am looking to build a layout loosely based on the West Shore Line and I have a very large bridge leading into a town, very much like Rondout. So, I want to build a replica of the Rondout bridge using Micro Engineering Tall Steel Viaduct kits and some truss style bridges, I'm not sure which manufacturer I will use for the truss bridges. Since I don't have the room for an actual Rondout Bridge (29" versus the 76" that would be needed) I will be "imagineering" a downsized version of the bridge. But it will look like a smaller version of Rondout.

ChiefTroll... thank you very much for providing the dimensions and bridge types, this will go a very long way towards allowing me to build the bridge. I have actually emailed Mr. Allan Sloan of the King Bridge Co., the company who made the current bridge, to ask him about the bridge. He is out and about on business and won't be available for immediate comments. But hopefully he will get back and be able to tell me the information.

Thank you so very much.

Scott