• Rockingham Jct. freight house collapsing, get pics now

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by truman

Went by Rockingham Jct. on the way home today and noticed that the east end of the freight house has fallen down, and some of the roof with it. I don't think it will be long before Guilford levels the rest before it collapses and fouls the main. Get your photo's now.

by NellsChoo

Shame... cryin' shame... I wish someone would hurry up and restore that whole complex...

by truman

Went by there the other day, looks like the office trailer has been moved back a few feet, and it appears the brush and trees have been cleared from around the freight house. Most of the roof is gone.

by cpf354

truman wrote:Went by there the other day, looks like the office trailer has been moved back a few feet, and it appears the brush and trees have been cleared from around the freight house. Most of the roof is gone.
They'll rebuild it, paint it blue and white and put a big blue "Pan Am" meatball on the side and use it for storing airplane parts, right? :wink:
I thought someone bought the old station and was going to fix it up. Not happening?
Personal connection-my Mom remembers waiting there to change trains when she would travel from her home in Manchester, NH to Durham whilst attending UNH, around 1948-1950.

by truman

cpf354 wrote:
truman wrote:Went by there the other day, looks like the office trailer has been moved back a few feet, and it appears the brush and trees have been cleared from around the freight house. Most of the roof is gone.
They'll rebuild it, paint it blue and white and put a big blue "Pan Am" meatball on the side and use it for storing airplane parts, right? :wink:
I thought someone bought the old station and was going to fix it up. Not happening?
Personal connection-my Mom remembers waiting there to change trains when she would travel from her home in Manchester, NH to Durham whilst attending UNH, around 1948-1950.
Thats the station, yes a local interest is restoring it, and doing a fine job too. There's a thread in here somewhere about it. This is the freight house across the track that I am refering to here.

by truman

Its gone.
I was headed home tonight, on the bridge that spans the Portsmouth running track I looked left, and all I saw was a pile of rotten lumber. There seems to be an attempt to stack the stuff. I don't think it took much to bring it down, maybe a fly swatter and a leaf blower.

by NellsChoo

I suppose it could always be reproduced if someone was so inclined... :(