• Rock hurled at Downeaster

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by MEC407

It's been said that southern Maine is a suburb of Boston, and now I'm starting to believe it:

http://www.wcsh6.com/home/article.asp?id=26885

Maybe they need to install MBTA-style "ghetto grates" on the Downeaster equipment.

by NRGeep

Plenty of idiots to go around whether their from the country or "the ghetto."

by MEC407

Yup, no disagreement here.

by Robert Paniagua

I guess the NNE territory isn't safe either...

They SHOULD install ghetto bars like MBTA trains.

by Finch

My roommate told me recently that, while he was taking the Downeaster home from UNH, he saw kids hitting golf balls at the train. I think he said it was in some city, but he say anything more specific. Could've been Exeter or Haverhill I guess.

by mick

Unfortunately, the authorites don't seem to take incedents like these on railroads seriously enough. What if someone hurled a rock at an airliner while it was sitting on a runway, of hit golf balls at it? What if someone dropped a boulder off a highway overpass onto a bus? You bet it would be big news. Two years ago, someone in the Clinton, MA area had a portable radio (or base station) with the B&M Road channel, and they were broadcasting bomb threats to Guilford and CSX trains going through the area. They would wait to hear the Defect Detector at Clinton go off, then they would start babbling over the air about explosives on the train. The dispatchers would call it in to the police, then tell the crews to "keep going, just keep an eye out for anything". No police showed up to inspect the train, nothing. This went on for a few months before the guy was finally caught, or gave up, we never heard anything else about it. Could you imagine if someone did that on an FAA channel?
  by l008com

MEC407 wrote:It's been said that southern Maine is a suburb of Boston, and now I'm starting to believe it:

http://www.wcsh6.com/home/article.asp?id=26885

Maybe they need to install MBTA-style "ghetto grates" on the Downeaster equipment.
Geez you think they could squeeze a few more ads on that web site? A 6 word story has like 19 ads on the page.
  by SPACEMONKEY

Guilford could care less about security and safety....
  by GP40MC 1116

SPACEMONKEY wrote:Guilford could care less about security and safety....
Well MBTA/MBCR cares for saftey i am assuming. Whille ridding to Lowell this afternoon, as i was standing near the vestibule, one of the crewmembers went over to the slide window in a de-activated cab car and shut it, and i asked "Why did u do that" he goes, we have to, this area is bad for rock throwers!" Prety interesting i thought

by Jonny Bolt

Degenerate scum. There is not much penalty or repurcussion these days, unfortunately. Alot of "warnings" and measly fines. We go through the same crap every year during Striper fishing season, poachers run rampant and the penalties when caught are so lax, that people just continue their degenerate activity.

They should send these rock-throwing dopes to a Super-Max federal prison for a week or 2, show 'em what its like to be a real dope.

by Tadman

I'm from Chicago - I remember a trip on LSL when I was about 4, and I couldn't understand the ghetto grilles. I'm still amazed that rock throwing is such a hit in Boston - from a much larger city, we don't remotely have that problem. I ride the South Shore Line through some rotten areas while in the unused engineer cab of an EMU, and have never caught a rock through an open window. Is there some contest going on out there?

by l008com

Its because we're all such intense Red Sox fans, we all want to be Pedro or Curt or Jonathan :-D