• River Line incident... struck my first car last night......

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by rcbsd45

Before we start a debate on automobile makers, I should point out(somewhat belatedly) that the "mercy killing" remark about the Ford was directed at a couple of specific individuals who like nothing better than to rib me about being a die hard Chevy owner. Seems to me when ya find something that works, ya stick with it. for some thats Ford, for me personally, Chevy. But all in all, its "back in the saddle" again tonight, so here we go! oh, and BTW, just about everyone at work finds it amazing to have gone for so long "unscathed".... oh well, guess I'm no longer a virgin, at least in this regard!!!!
  by jmp883

No, no debate....just having a little fun. In that vein....this was probably one cherry you wished you hadn't popped!!!

by O-6-O

rcbsd45 or roadster might be able to answer a question for me. When
you big hole the air is there a device that records the distance the train
travels to a stop. Maybe a black box deal like the airlines use. Even though
a normal application or an emergency app would still result in a collision,
I would think the lawyers might have a field day if you didn't attempt an
emergency stop. What is the RR policy reguarding this if you can share.

Happy Festiveous

STEAM ON
/--OOO--:-oo--oo-

by rcbsd45

All locomotives are equipped with event recorders. The more primative ones simply recoreded elpased time and speed. the newer ones record speed, horn/bell/throttle/dynamic braking/ activity, as well as any and all air brake activity by the engineer. if the conductor pulls the emergency brake valve on his side of the cab, then the newer recorders not only note that the emergency application was operator initiated, it also specifies that it was the valve on the conductors side, as opposed to being activated through the automatic brake handle. There are procedures to follow when making an emergecny application "dumping the train"/"going in the hole", such as having to also pull the toggle switch that will intiate the application from the rear of the train as well. By "dumping" the train from both ends, it reduces the chances for a pile up or derailment as a normal emergency application is initiated from the forward to the rear of the train. When such an event as a grade crossing/pedestrian accident occurs, the event recorders will be downloaded as part of normal(and required FRA rules) procedure, and then analyzed to determine the operation of the train before the incident. these event recorders are alos downloaded as part of investigations regarding certain rules violations as well.....

by nessman

rcbsd45 wrote:Before we start a debate on automobile makers, I should point out(somewhat belatedly) that the "mercy killing" remark about the Ford was directed at a couple of specific individuals who like nothing better than to rib me about being a die hard Chevy owner. Seems to me when ya find something that works, ya stick with it. for some thats Ford, for me personally, Chevy.
Was the lead engine an EMD? :)

Glad everyone's OK.
  by Noel Weaver

From about 1974 to late 1982, I spent quite a bit of time working the
River Line between North Jersey and Selkirk.
I was going north one afternoon/evening on a freight train (of course).
We had a private crossing at West Nyack which had no whistle posts for it
but I and many others always whistled for this crossing which at the time
was known as "Chromolloy Crossing (not sure about the spelling) and was
located between CP-22 and then CP-24.
On the day in question, I whistled as usual and good and loud too for the
above crossing and went by without incident. CP-24 was at the bottom of
a pretty good grade and the track curved just north of the signal and
crossed the New York Thruway on a bridge that originally was created for
two tracks but at this time, only one track existed at this location.
We came around the curve and saw what looked to be a fairly new
automobile in the gauge of the rails and all lit up. Of course, I put the
train into emergency immediately and wondered if anybody was in the car. There were some young people on the scene.
We weren't going too fast and got stopped and walked back, there were
two guys and two girls all of whom were around 18 or so. The kid is
complaining "my father's brand new car", it turned out to be a Ford
Mustang.
My head end brakeman was complaining to me about whistling at the
previous crossing but I told him that was the way I worked.
I asked the kid if they were all OK and he said they were. I then asked
them how come they got out of the car, they all answered that they heard
my whistle.
Sure made me feel good, I might have irritated the brakeman but I saved
four lives by whistling for the crossing.
Damages: Mustang car completely totaled, scrap metal
Lead Engine, one grab iron bent about two inches out of shape and one
broken sand pipe, estimated at the time at $25.00.
Even though fortunately nobody was hurt, it still shook us up and when we
got to Selkirk, we were deadheaded home.
I worked with that individual who was the brakeman many times after that
both as a brakeman and later on as a conductor, he never again said
anything to an engineer about the whistle.
One more thing, the local police showed up and wanted to know why we
were blocking the crossing, I gues they couldn't add two and two to
determine just why we stopped there. Locals there hated the railroad and
the crews, every last one of them.
Noel Weaver

by J.D. White

Reminds me of a story a close friend told me about his brother who was himself involved in a TVA back in the late '70s. Sometimes I wonder how such a man - so holy, never drank (despised alcohol), never smoked, and probably never cursed got caught up in such a perilous situation. Where was his guardian angel that night?

This particular Ohio grade crossing was "stop, look, and listen" type crossbucks (no electric signaling). Traffic on the route averaged about 40 mph. Eugene did not obey the signs and proceeded to cross over at a slow speed ... then in an instant "SMACK BLAM!!!!!" a killer glass and dash shattering jolt into the passenger door as his '73 Buick went from about five forward to pretty fast sideways. Amazingly as the train operators were slowing, he had the presence of mind to push himself all the way left in the compartment with the locomotive pressing and crunching the entire passenger side.

Conclusion: slight concussion, a few broken bones, scrapes, scratches, and one totaled Buick for the bone yard. He was very lucky if indeed this story is true.

He had made claims the train was running blind. That part is unbelievable, and probably impossible. What I believe is complacency resides with so many drivers at railroad crossings, especially where electric signals don't exist. Motorists think, "No signal = slow trains". On this night, he was a most unfortunate motorist.

The following morning he left the hospital and smoked his first cigarette, and for many years he avoided all railroad crossings. But for all his improved level of personal safety, it didn't matter. He died from lung cancer in 1998.

by SRS125

I rember seeing something in an older CSX Rule Book from the late 80's that stateed that if the Police did not show up to an accdent seen with in 20 minets then a member of the crew was to say behind and the train was to keep moveing. This was to be done only if a railroad crossing or crossings were blocked.