Railroad Forums 

• Rigby Yard — Activity, Sightings, and General Discussion

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1246130  by Bulkheadflat

I've been noticing for a while now that there are 2 lines of grey covered hoppers set a bit beyond the office building, in the vicinity of the old clean out tracks area, with trucks coming and going between the lines. Assuming these are plastic pellets being transloaded, but not certain at all, and no idea for which local industry they may be.
In other news, they just yesterday hauled out all the flatcars of steel sheets that have been stored, and added to little by little, for months on the west side of the yard. Must have been at least 30-40 cars of them rolling out northbound, maybe to the Brunswick branch but not certain.
Lastly, a job arrived from the north this morning with a large block of the burgundy MMA boxes toward the rear of the train, at least a couple dozen from what I could tell, wonder if they are going into storage for some reason or maybe being shipped out of the state since new owners have bid for that line.
Oh yes, as a final word, the warehouse on the east side of the yard continues to receive the ARMN reefers on a regular basis. great to see they've been able to retain that business !
 #1246162  by CN9634

Plastic pellets are for Poland Spring... traffic previously handled by SLR.

There were about 70 steel loads at Rigby for Hardings and now they should be a big block at Walnut.

No idea on the MMA boxes except they came down to NMJ a few day ago and probably are going away for good.
 #1246180  by Watchman318

CN9634 wrote:There were about 70 steel loads at Rigby for Hardings and now they should be a big block at Walnut.
Wow, that's a "powerful chahge." I don't know if anyone's ever figured out how many carloads it takes to build a new destroyer, but some plate steel also comes to Hardings by truck, so that should be a lot of traffic.
There was at least one flatcar on today's inbound Maine Eastern run.

Where's Walnut? I tried Googling, but the best I could come up with was Walnut Hill Rd. (Rt. 115), North Yarmouth, which isn't too far from a junction. (Near the Royal River, so I'm guessing that's Royal Jct. No, I don't get down that way much. ;-))

Sorry about the off-topic drag.
 #1246199  by KSmitty

Watchman318 wrote:Where's Walnut? I tried Googling, but the best I could come up with was Walnut Hill Rd. (Rt. 115), North Yarmouth, which isn't too far from a junction. (Near the Royal River, so I'm guessing that's Royal Jct. No, I don't get down that way much. ;-))
Thats the road that the siding just north of CPF 185 (Royal Junction, named as you suspected, after the river) is named after. The east end switch of the siding is "Walnut" and the siding is also "Walnut." The west end switch is considered part of CPF 185.
 #1246206  by CPF363

Will there be any future effort by Pan Am to extend the CTC east of CPF-185 up the hand throw switch at Walnut and convert it into a powered switch? It could become CPF-183.
 #1246250  by CN9634

There is a large double tracking project slated for Royal Junction and west that is supposed to include Walnut. Only time (and money) will tell but the rail has already been dropped for the second track.
 #1246313  by gokeefe

70 loads of steel?

That seems like a major increase in business for traffic to BIW.

What is going on here? Did PAR outbid a trucking firm?
 #1246337  by MEC407

CN9634 wrote:Plastic pellets are for Poland Spring... traffic previously handled by SLR.
Ouch. That's not something your normally hear (a customer switching TO Pan Am from another railroad)...
 #1246339  by newpylong

Could just be buying it faster than they can use it. Some RR customers do that to ensure they have adequate car supply at all times. For example, the LPG track in Rigby, WTE track in Deerfield, etc.
 #1246352  by gokeefe

MEC407 wrote:
CN9634 wrote:Plastic pellets are for Poland Spring... traffic previously handled by SLR.
Ouch. That's not something your normally hear (a customer switching TO Pan Am from another railroad)...
I noticed that too and thought it was quite unusual. The reported marketing efforts appear to be bearing generous fruit.
 #1246386  by CN9634

newpylong wrote:Could just be buying it faster than they can use it. Some RR customers do that to ensure they have adequate car supply at all times. For example, the LPG track in Rigby, WTE track in Deerfield, etc.
Just in time deliverys are a key part of railroad marketing. Rigby has been pretty plugged up in some weeks with just cars stored awaiting delivery.
 #1262032  by MEC407

doublestack wrote:I found this interesting video by Chuck Marsters showing a Sappi paper box that derailed at the Rigby yard earlier this week. I'm not sure what thread would be best to post in so I thought I'd let you decide if anyone would enjoy it or where to post. Take a look and feel free to go ahead and post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQbi3uPSATE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1262045  by MEC407

Happy to oblige, and kudos to "doublestack" for the idea. :)