• Removing weathering.

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Death Star

Is there a way I can remove weathering on a model without removing lettering or original paint? In short can I "deweather" a car?
I was not really pleased wuth the job I have done on it and would like to start over.
It is a Athearn Bluebox Soo Caboose
  by trainguy2024

What did you weather it with?
  by CNJ999

In all likelihood, no, unless the weathering consists simply of chalks and has not been sealed. In my experience, most any method that could be applied to the remove sealers and paint will also likely attack the car's original finish and lettering, at least to some degree.

CNJ999
  by Eliphaz

this is exactly why I dont like weathering.
  by trainguy2024

Death Star,
Send me a pic of what you weathered. Sometimes you can touch it up and you can actually fix any errors. If you send me a pic I could give some suggestions on how to maybe fix it. I have many different ways to weather.
Thanks
  by Dieter

Everybody's right; unless it's something you can gently swab off with wet cotton balls, using only water, leaving the paint and lettering intact? Forget it. If the car was sprayed over with dull cote, forget it. If you put the cars on a window sill to let the sun fade them, forget it.

Why do you want to undo the weathering?
  by Desertdweller

Man, it is fun to weather models! So much fun, it's too easy to overdo it.

My hobbies include both model railroading and model shipbuilding. I weather all my models to at least some degree. Of course, there are times when the weathering that looked so good the night before looks pretty rough in the morning.

All is not lost, even if you used paints or Dullcoted over it.

What you need to do is get some paint the same color as the carbody was before the weathering was applied. I suggest acrylics. For example, I've found some artists' acrylic that is a dead-on match for MP Jenk's Blue.

Take a flat-tipped brush, and dip just the ends of the bristles in the paint. Then wipe the brush on a dry rag to remove most of the paint. Brush on the remaining paint using vertical strokes (be sure to avoid decals).

This is called "dry brushing". You are covering up the weathering by adding another layer of original color on top of it. So little paint is applied on each stroke, the
"de-weathering" can be controlled by degree, just like the weathering was.

You cannot restore a paint job to original condition this way, but you can sure make it look a lot cleaner.

Les