• Reefer spotted in West bound FGLK Train

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by scharnhorst

A Reefer Car was spotted lastnight 1/13/09 on a West Bound FGLK train in Senica Falls, NY around 7:20p.m. I caught the marks ARMN but not a car number As far as I could tell the reefer unit on the car was running.

Is that Food plant in Waterloo back to takeing in Reefer car shipments again?? or is this just a rare move for this car?? Its a first for me to see any Reefers East of Geneva in years.
  by Conrail4evr

Well, I recall recently hearing a dispatcher talking to a train specifically about setting out some ARMN cars in Rochester. And since a Rochester-based local now brings cars to the Lyons FGLK interchange instead of the trains actually working them (or so I'd believe, seeing how they've been bringing out 70-80 cars each day for the interchange), I'd imagine that's where they're going...I don't know where else in Rochester ARMN (Union Pacific) reefers would be going.
  by scharnhorst

This one seems to have come from the Syracuse area as it was going West on the FGLK it seems kind of odd to me as there is no one that I know of that would take in a reefer west of Waterloo unless there is someone loading and unloading on a team track some where?? Auburn has a small team track and loading/unloading location for boxcars but it has not had any cars set out there in at leased a week or so.
  by lvrr325

They're not going into storage by any chance are they? What's the quantity of ARMN cars going to points FLGK? The only place I remember that would get those type of cars that Finger Lakes serves, offhand, was in Lyons with a switch off the west leg of the wye - but it's also been many years, I could be remembering it wrong.

Note to mods: I wonder if we could consolidate these various Finger Lakes threads into one? This, the thread on the green locomotive, etc.
  by CHECKIT

The car you noticed missed the normal Lyons interchange, was stopped at DeWitt, and sent to the FGLK at the Solvay, NY interchange for movement back to Geneva via the GS2. Reefers are being spotted in Geneva at a warehouse located in the former International Paper plant building
  by BR&P

Note to mods: I wonder if we could consolidate these various Finger Lakes threads into one? This, the thread on the green locomotive, etc.
You mean like a FGLK forum? Hmmmmmm!!!
  by lvrr325

Yeah, that could work too.

Is that paper plant the one that has sidings up two sides of the building, they cross each other at the corner of the building with a diamond? I think I have pictures from like 1996 or so of FLGK switching it.
  by scharnhorst

lvrr325 wrote:Yeah, that could work too.

Is that paper plant the one that has sidings up two sides of the building, they cross each other at the corner of the building with a diamond? I think I have pictures from like 1996 or so of FLGK switching it.
Yes it is. I work with a guy who worked there up till the plant closed down last May or June 2008. There are roumers going that the plant sold and someone is back in there as to what there doing I don't know?
  by nessman

I kinda prefer all NY railroads in the NY forum. As it is I need to check the A&A, GVT and LAL forums for their stuff as well (pain in the butt really).
  by bwparker1

Looks like the diamond is gone...

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1
  by scharnhorst

bwparker1 wrote:

Looks like the diamond is gone...

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1
humm same thing is viewable on google earth as well. I wonder when that was taken out?