• Red Line Stuff

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by jscola30

Hi, I've been riding the red line the past few days during the afternoon/evening on the Braintree side, notice the ride's been kinda slow, anyone know why or is just me? :wink:

Also, interesting roll signs I saw on the redline, and inbound train at Park St. had "Harvard" on the lead car, and a car I was sitting in had one that was upside-down and ripped that said "Park St./Quincy"

by CSX Conductor

Harvard was for a very long time the northern terminus for the Red Line.

The reason for an upside-down sign in the window is.....all window roll-signs have each destination twice, once for the interior and again for the exterior. (This way they are both displayed at the same time).

by Robert Paniagua

Quincy Center was also the final station for the South Shore route till 1980, when Braintree finally took its first passengers.

by RailBus63

The current Red Line roll signs date back to the opening of Alewife station in 1985. 'QUINCY/PARK ST' was one of several short-turn routes added to the signs at that time.

If you ever have a chance to roll one of those signs, you'll also find 'NO. QUINCY/CAMB. CTR. MIT' - an unlikely short-turn route if there ever was one!

JD

by CSX Conductor

RailBus63 wrote:If you ever have a chance to roll one of those signs, you'll also find 'NO. QUINCY/CAMB. CTR. MIT' - an unlikely short-turn route if there ever was one!

JD
And why do you say this? If I remember correctly, aren't there cross-oovers just North of North Quincy & just north or south of Kendall/MIT?

by RailBus63

I say 'unlikely' because I can't imagine trying to run North Quincy to Kendall service through those crossovers during rush hour without causing severe service disruptions to other trains.

JD

by CSX Conductor

Oh, I agree on screwing-up rush hour. But just pointing out that it is possible to have that as a short trip (during off-peak or in emergencies). :-)

by octr202

RailBus63 wrote:I say 'unlikely' because I can't imagine trying to run North Quincy to Kendall service through those crossovers during rush hour without causing severe service disruptions to other trains.

JD
Kendall is a trailing-point crossover, and also is hand throw.