• Received a letter from Amtrak

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Donzi8333

Today I received a letter in the mail from Amtrak. I had applied for the open assistant conductor positions in both Boston and Springfield Mass. It said we thank you for your interest in joining the Amtrak team. Then it restated the position I applied for. Then “ We are reviewing your qualifications and if you should be asked for an interview you will be contacted from this office.”
My questions are

Is this a good, bad or no sign
About how long does this step take
I’m 19, supervisor at work, never late, never call out, excellent driving and work record with cash handling. What do you think my chances would be for getting this job. Anything else would be helpful

Thanks a bunch guys

John

by Swedish Meatball

You have to first take a test with basic math and English comprehension. Then there is a interview followed by your physical. Amtrak will start you off at a training rate and then when you are finished in class you go to 75% of a trainmens pay. Donzi if you live in Mystic how come you do not apply to Metro North as well. You are only 60 miles from New Haven. You could also apply to the MBCR in Boston if you really want to work in passenger service. I dont want to bad mouth Amtrak but they have gone over 7 years without a contract and there pay is less than both commuter railroads.

by LIRailfan79

I believe you have to be 21 by the time of your expected hire date to work for Amtrak

by AEM7AC920

LIRailfan79 wrote:I believe you have to be 21 by the time of your expected hire date to work for Amtrak
Actually you can start at age 18 for conductor and 21 plus for engineers.

by Donzi8333

Today I got a call from Amtrak HR and i am going to test on wendesday at 10, what should i expect and how should i dress and is this a good sign
thanks

by jz441

This is a great sign. Dress nicely, (slacks and polo shirt) no need for suit and tie. Save that for the interview.
They will give you a series of test, basic math and physiological questions, nothing hard.
If you pass, they will call you in for the interview.

Good luck.... :wink:

by 1702

Donzi8333 wrote:Today I got a call from Amtrak HR and i am going to test on wendesday at 10, what should i expect and how should i dress and is this a good sign
thanks
The procedure used to be that you gave them your resume & then filled out a full application form if you were called in. If this is still the situation, be prepared for that.

by cifn2

good luck and looking forward to hearing your experiences up here! Lets us know how it went and what all you had to do.