Railroad Forums 

• Rebuild LIRR Bridge at Post Ave in Westbury

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1448082  by Head-end View

Well obviously I haven't measured it myself LOL, but I think with that in mind as well as Murphy's Law, that this improvement will not be the cure-all that everyone thinks it will, but time will tell. Want to take bets; start a pool? :wink:
 #1448091  by Amtrak7

REM3Night wrote:Took one more pass and a test train went through at 12:18 AM and Post Avenue was open when I heads past.
Ray
2000 passed through right on time.

Post Avenue open to vehicular traffic already? That's 6 hours ahead of schedule.
 #1448104  by Head-end View

Yeah, sounds like they completed operations well ahead of schedule. I assume the good weather was a lucky break for the crews enabling a very efficient operation. Plus sometimes we just get lucky and everything works out right according to plan. :-D
 #1448110  by newkirk

Saturday morning, getting ready for the big move.
Closeup of work area
New bridge awaits installation
Bay Crane's amazing equipment that will lift the old bridge and move it to the adjacent lot.
It's getting and dark and the old bridge still remains. The old bridge was so well constructed it took over four hours for torches to free it.
Built about 103 years ago, probably built to last 203 years. The LIRR knew what they were doing back then.
Old bridge moving south on Post Road.
Entering the adjacent lot where old bridge will be lowered in place and eventually dismantled. That's a lot of tonnage of concrete and steel.
 #1448111  by railfaned

Bill,
Excellent quality photos. I wished that I could have been there to see it being done. Those Bay Crane people are something else!!!
I'll probably see the finished bridge when I come up north for Christmas.
Thanks for your taking the time to photograph the project!!!
 #1448117  by newkirk

Bill,
Excellent quality photos. I
You're quite welcome Railfaned.
 #1448141  by newkirk

It's Sunday morning and with the old trestle gone, it looks strange to gazing up Post Ave and not see any trestle.
A once in a life time view of both trestles side by side. This won't last long.
New concrete footings to support the new trestle were installed over night. I was told these were pre-fab.
Behold, a brand new trestle with the capability for the third track now installed. WHEW !
With tracks installed on the new trestle, the LIRR wastes no time having the Unimat ballast tamper put the finishing touches.
A test train would roll through much later to make sure all systems are go.
The AM rush would resume and the new trestle should be good for another 103 years !

THE END !
 #1448168  by newkirk

Have they finally posted the new height sign on the bridge yet?]
I haven't been there since Sunday night. One thing for sure, the bridge needs to be painted. Which I'm sure will happen when time permits.
 #1448175  by Head-end View

The old height signs were still in-place this morning. What an excellent set of photos! I mistakenly thought the Bay Crane would be used to lift the bridges out of and into place. Now I see what was meant about those unique vehicles with the many wheels. Very interesting how they did that. And a credit to the crews and engineers involved. Good job to all including the photographer!

Newkirk, did I maybe see you there? I remember on Sunday afternoon briefly talking to an older gentleman carrying a camera with a very long lens attached. Was that you?
 #1448177  by newkirk

The old height signs were still in-place this morning. What an excellent set of photos! I mistakenly thought the Bay Crane would be used to lift the bridges out of and into place. Now I see what was meant about those unique vehicles with the many wheels. Very interesting how they did that. And a credit to the crews and engineers involved. Good job to all including the photographer!

Newkirk, did I maybe see you there? I remember on Sunday afternoon briefly talking to an older gentleman carrying a camera with a very long lens attached. Was that you?
Thank you for the compliment, as I was the photographer for this thread. I too thought Bay Crane would have two cranes to lift the bridge but they would have to be syncronized perfectly. A hard hat told me those two lift machines had 80 wheels !

I didn't have a long lens, only a digital point and shoot.I was there Sunday morning about 8:30AM and later on about 5:30PM .
 #1450807  by REM3Night

Workers have been jackhammering off the cement from the old bridge for several weeks, Today they brought in a crane and removed major sections of the bridge - I think there is one section on the ground.
From all of the work that went into disassembling the bridge I think trucks hitting it over the years had little chance of damaging it.
While I was there several trains crossed the new bridge - very loud.
Ray