• Reading Prototype Branch layout(s)

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by MrBill

Hello all. Throwing this project up here to see if there's any interest. If it would link to more appropriate threads within the site, I welcome any suggestions or help in doing so. I've been a Reading Railroad fan all my life and am working on modeling various scenes along the system. First off, I'm into historical research. I like to find out as much as possible about certain locations, particularly stations and their surrounding features. After that I enjoy working up track plans for modeling possibilities. This is a hobby unto itself for me. I work from old atlases, Sanborn maps, quarter mile sheets, old aerial photos, satellite pics, and whatever else I can dig up. Figuring out track arrangements for certain eras can be very challenging. As we know, the railroads didn't hesitate at all to rip up and change trackage back in the day when labor was cheap and there were plenty of customers.
My main area of study has been the Wilmington & Northern and Schuylkill & Lehigh branches of the Reading. My current layout in process is based on Granogue and Winterthur stations along the W&N in northern Delaware. Once this gets off the ground, I plan to expand it with connections to other actual places along the line, namely Montchanin DE. yard, and Reading Iron ( pre-1940) in south Reading Pa.
To start off, here is a map I drew of the area, some pics, and track plans. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.