• Ratio, HO scale to N

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Jayjay1213

If I was looking at a layout in Model Railroader that was 10X10 in HO, you could say how big would the same layout be in N?

Thanks!
  by Cadet57

Jayjay1213 wrote:If I was looking at a layout in Model Railroader that was 10X10 in HO, you could say how big would the same layout be in N?

Thanks!
Well. HO is 1:87:1 scale and N is 1:160, which is just about half the size of HO so 5x5, or thereabouts.
  by Jayjay1213

Thats what I was thinking, about half. I was looking at a layout that was 18' by 21 in HO, wondering if I should just divide by 2 to make it into N....
  by umtrr-author

It's roughly half the size, but I'd be a little more generous than that.

You would still need to keep the same aisle space since 1:1 people don't scale down :-D .

Some trackplanners recommend keeping the same space used for the HO layout and just build it in N Scale in the same footprint. I like the idea-- just think of the scenery to track ratio!-- but it's not feasible most of the time.