Railroad Forums 

• Railroad.net Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube Pages

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#1624382  by ExCon90

Just continuing the original practice of numbering the Lower Level tracks in the 100 series. Unlike Philadelphia 30th St., which has duplicate tracks 1 through 6 on two levels. The Upper Level tracks should have been numbered (and maybe should be) 101 through 106. (Maybe they just didn't want to be seen as copying the New York Central.)

Getting back to Poughkeepsie, nice to see they incorporated an original station sign.
 #1624393  by Jeff Smith

Within the Grand Central facility, there are two distinct terminals which share zero trackage. GCT has revenue tracks 12 to 42 on the upper level. Lower level tracks are numbered 1xx. Madison has an upper level 201-204, and lower 301-304. Definitely distinct terminals, even if they are connected by passageways.
 #1624451  by west point

Jeff Smith wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:11 am Within the Grand Central facility, there are two distinct terminals which share zero trackage. GCT has revenue tracks 12 to 42 on the upper level. Lower level tracks are numbered 1xx. Madison has an upper level 201-204, and lower 301-304. Definitely distinct terminals, even if they are connected by passageways.
Internally yes. However, as for many years. Step out of my building , grab a taxi, Driver may say "Where to Mac?" and all I say is "Grand Central" Subway not really ever implied. Madison never
"OOPS why am I at Penn Station?
Of course, it will never never be confused with Madison Square Garden by clueless persons? OOPS why am I at Penn Station???
 #1624459  by Jeff Smith

Point taken. Still, if I’m going to GCM I would tell the cabbie to bring me to an entrance point for that terminal, and not at Vanderbilt and 42nd.
 #1624508  by ExCon90

A lot would depend on the cab driver's knowledge. In Paris I once told the driver "Gare du Nord," and he asked, "Main Line or Suburban?" (the station frontage is about 3 blocks long). In New York I got in a cab at NYP to go to La Guardia, and the driver didn't know the way -- he'd never driven outside Manhattan. Probably best just to say "47th and Park" or whichever entrance you want.
 #1624558  by justalurker66

Wherever the driver's mapping software of choice sends them.

My father was a cab driver before mapping software and drivers had to know their way around town. I did a mapping project in the early 1990s on a computer and learned the name of every rural road in the county where I lived at the time (converting a printed county map to a line map on a computer required me to look at every road).
 #1624567  by Gilbert B Norman

Since the discussion here seems to now include experiences with taxicabs, allow me to add one that occurred during Sept '21, although this involved Uber.

Now I have never had an Uber account, and see no reason to have one, I have friends who "of course" have them.

After staying in town at Palmer House with two of such, next morning, we wanted to go to Breakfast at Lou Mitchell's, near CUS and about 1.5mi away. That walk would be "a bit much" for her. Even if I don't, they know Uber. First thing I learned is that you, the paying passenger, gets "demerits" if you make the driver wait more than a specified time. I was lined up to get my bill, check it over, and pony up. That's how I've done it for the past sixty plus years. "Gil, just drop the keycard have them email it to you". Now the driver starts off. I would have used Westbound Adams (N side of CUS), but no, his Sat Nav had him using Van Buren, which is two way but under the "El". That means no room to maneuver away from an errant driver, or God forbid, a carjacker.

Of course, I have little use for the other more traditional for-hire vehicular transport. I think the last time I was in a taxicab was August '18 in Linz, Austria. I had walked about this very underrated city for about 4 klicks (2.5mi) and I had "run out of gas" and might have been lost (Mr. Google gets "thrown" when streets converge at less than right angles - and that is quite prevalent in Europe). I found a taxicab, hopped in, simply said "Hauptbahnhof" and was at the train station without incident. In this instance, €10,00 well spent.