• Railroad gates cross up village of Warwick

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by railtrailbiker

Folks who live in and travel through the village are sick of being railroaded.
When a train approaches and crosses Main Street, the railroad-crossing gates come down.
However, they stay down – for hours – blocking traffic, bedeviling drivers, thinning crowds of shoppers and costing taxpayers.
Last week, just before the afternoon rush hour, the ding ding ding sounded. The lights flashed and the gates swung down, blocking traffic. The Norfolk Southern train passed, but the gates remained down.
Drivers who had cued up on either side had to back up, honking, cursing, screaming. Police had to pay officers overtime to direct traffic and barricade the crossing.
"It's a real nightmare," Warwick police Chief Tom McGovern said. "It chokes our main road. It costs money. And it's not like we can do anything about it. It's not our (property). We have to call Norfolk Southern."
The average response time from Norfolk Southern: about four hours, according to village and town officials.
http://www.recordonline.com/archive/200 ... /drr06.htm

by SimTrains

I find from all of these stories about roads being blocked that NS is usually pretty good about sending people out to fix the problem, and keeping it fixed. CSX has a bad track record (no pun intended). I've seen the crossing here in Lancaster, NY at Sheldon Ave come down for hours, and nothing being down about it. Never seen it happen with any of the area NS crossings.

by SRS125

The only place where I have seen any crossing signal was between Geneva, NY and Lyons, NY on the Corning Secondary NS still owns the track but Finger Lakes Railway operates on it. I rember comeing across 3 road in a row that had there gates eather stuck part way down all the way down or the gates up but lights flashing. The nearest NS Signal maintaince guy is in Gang Mills about a 4 or 5 hour road trip depending on the route he take to get here. I beleve that if such a problum was to happen again NS would have Finger Lakes do the rapairs. Hopefully they (the FGLK) will buy this segment from NS Soon if they have the money to do so.

by joshuahouse

Even driving safely you can get to Lyons from Corning in about 2.75-3 hours.

by SRS125

Ok so I over guessed my driveing range by 1 to two hours over Its a little leeway never know what the traffic condtions maybe with weather and outher hold ups that may pop up in traffic.