Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by fl9m2026

fl92027 wrote:I would too! That's why I'm trying to get Overland to do another run of the New Haven CDOT FL9's.
They did a run of them back in 2005 a total of 45 CDOT FL9's were made.
They did a run of 20 chrome crankshaft rebuilds road numbers 2006/2023 and 25 Electro Motive rebuilds road numbers 2024/2026.
I would like to see if Overland would do a rerun of CDOT'S FL9's but in different road numbers like 2027/2016/2014/2011
I think if I can get enough models reserved, like 15 or 20 I think Overland might consider it.So if there's anyone how would want to reserve a CDOT FL9 please let me know.
Units 2011/2014/2016/2024/2026/2027 were rebuilt by Morrison-Knudsen and not Electro-Motive. They were redesignated model FL9m.
  by fl92027

Thanks for pointing that out. The Cdot SlE F7a's where rebuilt by Electro motive not the fl9's
  by DutchRailnut

The CDOT SLE F7a's were rebuilt by PAtrain at GE in Hornell.
The first 4 CDOT FL-9's were rebuiklt at Chrome Crankshaft in Boise Idaho
The second 4 the FL-9m's by Morrison Knudson in Boise Idaho(same shop different owner)
  by fl92027

Ok thanks I must have read the info wrong
  by Tadman

Holy Toledo, talk about stunning detail. That group of model FL9's linked has different light packages between the Amtrak units and the MNCR units reflecting extremely prototypically correct detail. Someone sure worked hard on these. I'd love to have one for my office wall.
  by NH2060

Tadman wrote:Holy Toledo, talk about stunning detail. That group of model FL9's linked has different light packages between the Amtrak units and the MNCR units reflecting extremely prototypically correct detail. Someone sure worked hard on these. I'd love to have one for my office wall.
Wish it, want it, DO IT! ;-)
  by Ridgefielder

Funny they're not offering an FL9 in Conrail paint. Odds are they spent longer in blue/yellow than they did in PC black.
  by Backshophoss

Most of the FL-9 Fleet was Patched 2 times,1 time by PC,1 time by Conrail,very few were done up in PC or Conrail "Empire" paint.
(the NY State colors were blue and yellow,early MTA colors)
Blue body sides,yellow nose.
  by Ridgefielder

Backshophoss wrote:Most of the FL-9 Fleet was Patched 2 times,1 time by PC,1 time by Conrail,very few were done up in PC or Conrail "Empire" paint.
(the NY State colors were blue and yellow,early MTA colors)
Blue body sides,yellow nose.
Didn't the blue/yellow ones have a Conrail logo on them, though? Or am I imagining things?
  by Backshophoss

The Yellow paint didn't hold up well in the weather,believe 2-3 were redone by Conrail at best.
  by Tommy Meehan

Not just to argue but I thought I remembered quite a few FL-9s got the Conrail paint job. There was a reason too, because of all the criticism about the diesel service under Conrail. For one thing the equipment looked poorly maintained so I think at some point around 1979-1980 Conrail did begin painting units. That was something they could fix.

I went on-line looking for photos of FL-9s in MTA service with the Conrail markings. I found quite a few.

5034 with an abbreviated scheme
5039 with the quickie lettering
5042 with no can opener
5053 in GCT

That's 12 in all. Now I just hope the RR Picture Archive links keep working. :(

by Tadman

Is that how MNRR got their blue stripe, from Conrail? And did Conrail's blue color derive from PC metropolitan region?
  by Tommy Meehan

As I understand it, MTA chose blue stripes for the Harlem-Hudson M-1A MUs and yellow for the LIRR M-1 MUs as those are New York State's official colors -blue-and-yellow.

And that's why the FL-9s were painted blue-and-yellow starting in the early 1970s when Penn Central operated the service under contract to MTA.

BTW, per Moody's Transportation Manual for Investors - 1972, title (ownership) of the FL-9s passed from Penn Central to MTA when the service was acquired by MTA. Most of the units were still under equipment trust and it was the MTA that made the final annual payments. The FL-9s were never owned by Conrail.
Last edited by Tommy Meehan on Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Backshophoss

On the Conrail repaints,CR blue replaced the early MTA blue paint,MNR blue is a darker,richer blue on the P-32 rebuilds.
On the Harlem line, most of the FL-9's were of the "patch and go" type including bare plywood body panel patches,
the repaints would make an appearance from time to time,but would wind up on the Hudson line or on
the 2 Danbury Br. thru trains.
The same could be said about the coach fleet as well, the ex NH coaches stayed on the Danbury Br most of the time,
any of the ex-NYC coaches missing side fluting wound up on the Harlem line.