• Railfanning the commuter rail operations

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by njtmnrrbuff

Next month, I am planning a trip to Boston, probably staying at a cheap hotel for 1 or 2 nights because I want to cover some mileage on the commuter rail. What are the best lines to take in terms of scenery. I know the Rockport and Newburyport Lines are scenic. I plan to ride both of those lines on the same day with a changeover between the two in either Salem or Beverly. Are both of those stations good for photography? Thanks.

by WonderlandMan

Those lines are very sceneic. Take a train up to Gloucester it's amazing. Most photography in the subway requires a Permit, Im not sure on the Commuter Rail. Shouldnt give you a problem anyway though, but you should look into it

by njtmnrrbuff

Yes, the subway in your neck of the woods I've heard isn't railfan friendly at all. The commuter rail is okay for the most part. Even most of NJT's commuter rail crews are pretty good about photographers, on both the platforms and public property. Last year, while in Boston, I actually did a trip to Needham Hts. No problems. In fact, the engineer of the train that I took is a railfan himself because he had a camera himself.

by Ron Newman

The lines are scenic, but Salem station certainly isn't....

by RailBus63

Beverly depot is much more scenic than Salem, which is a relatively new station (built in the late 1980's).

The Haverhill line is good for photography - Wakefield and Reading have photogenic depots and there is a bridge over the Merrimack River just south of the Haverhill station that can be photographed from the adjacent highway bridge, if you don't mind waiting for the next train. Might be kind of cold this time of year, though.

Over on the Fitchburg line, there are towers that can be photographed at Waltham and Ayer.

I would also recommend riding to the one of the stations on the Attleboro-Providence line and watching MBTA and Amtrak action. Attleboro is one of my favorites (lots of shops and places to eat nearby). Canton Junction is scenic, and Readville is good if you like train activity because the MBTA trains on the Franklin and Fairmount lines can also be seen there.

In terms of photo permits, I'd guess you might have problems trying to take pictures at North Station, South Station or Back Bay (platform access at North Station was restricted last time I was there), but there shouldn't be any major issues at the outer stations.

JD

by CSX Conductor

For photographing along the Northeast Corridor: Forest Hills can provide a good spot at the far end of the outside commuter platform. Readville is also good as the other poster mentioned because of the NEC traffic as well as the Readville shuttles and Franklin trains....plus depending when you're there, possibly a CSXT move or two.

Attleboro is also good because it is wide-open, straight track and as mentioned places to eat near-by. Attleboro is also good because you'd have alot more variety than on the north-side. You would see Amtrak, MBTA commuter trains, and CSXT B735 takes head-room on track #4 at Attleboro to set-off cars anywhere between 1100/1200noon.

If you end up going north I would suggest Ayer.

If you want to get MBTA & freights, you might wanna check-out Framingham.

Another old station is at Walpole, BTW.

by octr202

North Station isn't photogenic at all (under the BankNorth Garden) and is patrolled enough that I wouldn't try to photograph in the station.

However, if you go out the west exit, turn right, and follow Nashua St. up to the river, you can get very close to the drawbridgeon the west side. Just walk around the street side of Spaulding Hospital until you see the park along the water, then walk back to the bridge.

This is a good spot to see a lot of train movements at rush hour.

by RailBus63

North Station has been ugly since the 1950's when the highway bridge was built over the tracks. It's still ugly with the new bridges. I haven't been to that spot near the Spaulding Hospital - I'll have to check that out on one of my trips back home.

South Station was a great spot for train photography right after it was rebuilt - you had the headhouse and the Boston skyline as a backdrop. Truly excellent. Then they put the bus station over the tracks and totally ruined it. Supposedly there will be a hotel or office building built over the remaining air rights near the station, thus plunging the platform area into total subterranean darkness.

Back Bay is pretty decent if you go down to the eastern end of the platforms - it has that busy urban railway look with the catenary, signal bridges, etc.

JD

by octr202

RailBus63 wrote:North Station has been ugly since the 1950's when the highway bridge was built over the tracks. It's still ugly with the new bridges. I haven't been to that spot near the Spaulding Hospital - I'll have to check that out on one of my trips back home.
It'll get better, too, when the North Point Park across the Charles opens soon (not sure exactly when). It should allow a lot of opportunities to get good views of the interlocking (Tower A?) immediately to the north of the bridge. Of course, this is assuming that they don't put in trees or some other barrier to screen the park from the sight of "ugly" trains and Boston Sand & Gravel.

by Robert Paniagua

Also, Braintree Station is a nice place to photograph CR trains at the Commuter Platform, and you can see the Red Line traions departing and arriving the subway platform, which is just south of the CR platform.

by Otto Vondrak

First: Make sure you contact the MBTA Marketing Dept. and get a photo permit. If you are at one of the outlying depots, it may not be a problem, but if you plan on spending any time on company property with a camera, you'll need the permit. Without it, you'll be shoo'ed off, and you won't be allowed to take pictures from T property (not to mention, you'll make the operators and cops upset). They are easy to obtain, but allow at least a week to process. AND you have to pick up the permit IN PERSON at 10 Park Plaza (State Transportation Building). That little yellow card diffuses so many situations and reduces conflicts to near zero. Trust me.

Having just came off a railfan trip to Boston, we visited both North and South Stations. North Station has about ZERO character, especially since the old North Station/Boston Garden came down. The platforms are not bad for photography, but you'll want to visit in the late afternoon.

South Station has a little more character, but the new bus garage (THAT was a surprise- haven't been since 1990) makes photography difficult, except for the longest trains. You'll want to visit here in the morning for the best photo angles. Action on Saturdays is near zero, so you'll want to visit on a weekday.

Check out the Blue Line. Even though it's rapid transit and relatively short, the above ground portion running on catenary has the appearance of an interurban. Maybe that's because it once was an interurban!

I'll let the forum comment on the rest of the commuter rail system since I've never been.

-otto-
Last edited by Otto Vondrak on Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Ron Newman

Saturday commuter rail schedules are less frequent than weekdays but I wouldn't say they are "near zero".

by njtmnrrbuff

Thanks, I'm heading up on a weekday. Yes, I've noticed that the rapid transit side and major terminals, people have been given a hard time. Some of it puts you in a comfortable position. I think this time, I will ride a line on the northside since I did the southside. I am thinking of Rockport. I am not leaving out Lowell. If I do Lowell, I will probably ride MBTA's Fairmount Line as well to Readville which is a great place to watch trains.

by Ron Newman

On the Lowell line, the West Medford grade crossing is a good place to see both commuter trains and the Amtrak Downeaster. I think some freight moves through there too, but I'm not sure.

by CRail

Ok one thing straight... photo permits are not easy to get anymore. you used to be able to go in and pick one up, now you have to put in for one a week in advance, go through screening, pay a fee, and probably more now.

I like north station at the end of the platforms (very little chance you will be bothered on the north side), you can get a good shot of the engine terminal (although from a distance), and the draw bridges which go up and down quite frequently in the summer at least (not sure about winter). Also some good races during rush hour.

None of the subway interests me enough to photograph, especially with the photoban. i just like to ride and listen to sounds. the AC traction stuff (green line 3800's and red line 1800's) sounds awesome. the air sounds good on the older stuff too. I favor the silverbirds (older red line trains - 01500 - 01600 - 01700 series) getting a hit (penalty brake application).